Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shelf Pin Jig

Yes, a router with a guide bushing and a jig can be pretty darn quick. While mine is setup for a much larger guide bushing (a wood version of the MEG that Norm Abram designed), the principle is the same as your pegboard setup. Router is typically cleaner than using a drill bit, too. at east hand-held.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

i also like using a router .just makes sense it would be straighter holes . I have two different templates ,both i believe are rockler .with the templates i can make up special jigs ,like drilling holes in assembled cabinets i might make one up just fot that cabinet .
    i found when using a router with the jig dust collection is very important .gets to hot ,burns the wood a ruins jig .

I ran across these yesterday, and remembered this thread, so I took a couple of pictures. These are what I mentioned earlier in this thread. Since I only built cabinets for one house a year (did everything else on those houses, as well), I never had reason to get anything "better". Typically, it would be a one morning job to do all the parts for any one house. My setup with the drill press was pretty fast, and I never had to remake a part.

Even though it's been decades ago, I remember making them. I just scribed a pencil line down where I wanted the centerline of the holes, stepped off with dividers, leaving a little indention, and then drilled the holes with the drill press. Probably some numbered drill bit, but I don't remember which. They were made, I believe, before there was a commercial jig available, or at least, one that I thought worth buying.

These have probably done a million dollars worth of cabinets. My cabinet shop was the setup in the garage. I've had 33 different garage shops, in the 33 houses, over those 33 years-stopped building spec houses in 2007, and have been working on old houses since then.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 04-05-2020 at 6:22 PM.

John Heinz has a nice one that uses a router, it basically just slide the router to the next hole. https://ibuildit.ca/projects/shelf-pin-jig/ I did pick up the Rockler Router one on Clearance, have not used it yet but will soon. Dan

I built a very large library twenty years ago - 1000 lineal feet of shelving and floor-to-ceiling bookcases that were ten feet tall. When I realized it would require 18,000 shelf pin holes (yes, eighteen thousand), I went looking for the best router jig I could buy - I went with MEG Products as they produced, at that time, a very robust and easily adjustable jig made from a 1/2" thick plate of T6061 aluminum. As the case uprights were a full 3" thick, I had to modify the MEG jig to handle the thickness. Once I got it tweaked, I was able to do two rows of 110 holes (440 total) on both sides of one of those massive uprights in about 15 minutes. It was not cheap, about $300, but I've never regretted buying it. Every shelf sits perfectly on its four pins to this day. The MEG jig is still available:

http://megproducts.com/pro-bore32.html
    Last edited by Brian Backner; 04-05-2020 at 7:59 PM.