Thread: three phase wiring question

three phase wiring question

Table saw got moved but nothing changed.

On re hook up with the power off at the mains I noticed this. Used as a continuity tester my meter is beeping between line 1 and 2. Makes no sense to me so figured a short in the wiring. Traced back to the saw and took the lines 1 and 2 off so now only the saw in the equation and the meter on the line 1 and 2 saw internal wiring and it beeps. I checked some other machines and found the same on one other SCM machine only in that case it was line 2 and line 3 that beeped (again with the power off)

I think this will happen on a transformer but there is no transformer now as i test the lines into the saw. I tried one other SCM machine and there is no beeping on any combo of lines.

I was hesitant to run the table saw but it was checked by an electrician in the first place. He found the master shut off had been bypassed on one phase of the switch, and the push on start was also not working. I took that apart many times and got it to work. Nothing was changed so I ran it and fine for the short time I did but why does this happen.

P2340598A.jpg
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 03-22-2020 at 1:38 PM.

Are you sure there isn't a small transformer (for powering controls or something) hooked up?

There is nothing about 3 phase that causes this situation to be any different than a "regular" circuit - if your ohmmeter is showing continuity, it's because there's something hooked between those wires.

thanks Dan,

Internet out all day, up here its a piece of string pulled between two cans, when they update us to fibre optics will likely be clear fishing line.

here is inside the saw box where the power cable comes in. Here ive retaped it but had used the continuity tester taking off the lines to the disconnect so I was only using the saw wires and got beeping.

The black tape on yellow marr is line 2, the next red tape is line one. I took the marrs off and the continuity tester beeps when on line 1 and 2. I dont get it. Ran the saw for half an hour and it ran great. This is why it showed up at the disconnect, its from the saw. At the disconnect I thought a short in a wire followed back then took it off so only the saw involved? Then there is an SCM shaper with 1 and 3 beep, on that one I only measured on the disconnect box. That one is hooked up with a transformer at the end and power off.

Sorry if im not explaining this well enough, Dont know if there being two motors in the saw have something to do with this. THe shaper would have a second botton for the power feed on and off.

P2340580A.jpg
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 03-23-2020 at 2:05 AM.

Warren, the object on the upper left looks like a control transformer.

As Dan indicated that's what your continuity tester is detecting............Regards, Rod.

yeah ive left it at that and run the machine a number of times and its fine. NO blown coil or. It was odd to measure at a disconnect box and get the beeping and think there is a short somewhere. Another machine measures that way but its on line 1 and 3, since its a roto line three is manufactured. You cant put that line to a coil. Does it affect a transformer in anyway like it does with a coil?

Hi Warren, yes it does because the transformer runs the contactor coils and any other control components.

The transformer should be connected to the non manufactured lines........Rod.

went across the top of the box and beep between all combos. Power is off but transformer in the circuit so that is the cause. Thanks for telling me that from the past

Left the table saw and thanks for that transformer explain. No more concerns on that other than more set up time

Just as well this happened its a measure i would not normally do, so now on the T130 im beeping on line 2 and 3. Im sure this was sorted out by an electrican and based on what you are saying the coil is seeing manufactured power. Im lucky it hasnt taken out the coil. I can logically change the wiring but now a bit concerned since its been fine as wired, I get that can be luck of the draw and it just hasnt happened yet. I checked the machine at the machine and same two and three beep so black and blue wires. Im glad I asked and thanks for that answer. Every machine has a different story.

thanks Dan and Rod both for your help so far.

w

Line 2 Line 3 BeepA.jpg
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 03-31-2020 at 6:10 PM.

Here is on the T130. Continuity tester beeps on 2 and 3. There is no 575 transformer in the circuit now and when there was it beeps on all configurations and thats been explained in the past.

This is indicating there is a transformer in the machine I guess upper back leftg. In this case Rod based on my question if the manufactured line harms the transformer you have said it cant be on that configuration as the coil comes after the transformer so its in the circuit, if I understand you correctly. Rod is this a case of them putting the transformer in and lowering to 110 for the start coil? why would they do that if so and not just leave it 575 all the way through?

This being the case then blue can only be on line 1. Then the other lines go on as 1 and 2 or 2 and 1 if need to reverse. I could also change my Red Black and blue incoming but want to keep that consistent.

Power in on back

P2350528A.jpg

controls

P1150914A.jpg

back side of the front controls, reversing and an on and off for a power feed which im not tapped into.

P2350535A.jpg

whole enchilada

P1150903A.jpg

how do you get rid of this bottom attached thumbs been through all I can see and cant find a delete. Be nice to right clic and there is a delete in the options
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 04-01-2020 at 11:57 PM.