Thread: Dickinson, Galveston County, Texas - - Corona Virus

Blog Entries

Dickinson, Galveston County, Texas - - Corona Virus

The Galveston Daily News reports that we have eight new cases in the county.
    Grocery stores are closed but will deliver grocery orders to cars from 8 to 10 AM daily.

Fortunately I have workbench drawer building project with all materials on hand. My bench has shelves over the bench and now I
    will have tool drawers under the bench.

I will be in the shop until this thing ends. Fortunately, we have a reasonable food supply on hand.

Hang in there Lowell! Hope you and your family keep doing ok.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Stay with it Lowell and send me some bread machine/instant yeast if you are hoarding any. Can't find any here on my side of Austin. I also have a running project with all materials at hand, plus wood for the next project up in the attic of the shop as well. Best to you and your family.
    David

Luckily I’m tall and got the last bread yeast at the back of the tallest shelf. When I finish my next commercial job I get to make some furniture. This could go on for quite some time.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Blog Entries
    Try going to the grocery store a 6 or 7 am , when ever they get their daily deliveries.

David
    I am in Cedar Park and have a new bottle of Fleschmanns Rapid Rise yeast. You can have it if that is the kind you are looking to obtain. Just let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Try going to the grocery store a 6 or 7 am , when ever they get their daily deliveries.
    Costco now has special "seniors only" hours from 8-9am on Tuesdays and Thursdays. My wife went there this morning shortly before 8. The parking lot was full, and the line to get in wrapped back several times. She drove away and vowed to go back this afternoon when it was significantly less busy.
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 03-24-2020 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Costco now has special "seniors only" hours from 8-9am on Tuesdays and Thursdays. My wife went there this morning shortly before 8. The parking lot was full, and the line to get in wrapped back several times. She drove away and vowed to go back this afternoon when it was significantly less busy.
    We went to the inaugural "mature adult" Costco hour this morning, too. It was VERY well run and while there was a long line waiting to get in when the doors opened, we were all inside within minutes. They actually opened the doors early which is a normal practice for our local Costco. The only things they didn't have today that we wanted was TP, oc course...and we really don't "need" it for awhile...and pork chops. Of course, once you are there...buy buy stuff...in this case, copious amounts of "Physical Isolation Snacks" for the whole family. LOL And gas was down to $1.89 which may not be as low as many other places, but this is PA...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    The morning news says that we are to quarantine in place for two weeks. Oh well, I have some drawers to build in my workshop and I have all the materials I need. I put my billfold and keys back on the dresser so that I will not forgetfully leave.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    The Galveston Daily News reports that we have eight new cases in the county.
    Grocery stores are closed but will deliver grocery orders to cars from 8 to 10 AM daily.
    How can grocery stores handle getting out all grocery orders out in a two hour window per day? They would have to keep the frozen and refrigerated parts of orders cold until the customer picks up. Even a small grocery store would have 100 or more customers on an average day.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    How can grocery stores handle getting out all grocery orders out in a two hour window per day? They would have to keep the frozen and refrigerated parts of orders cold until the customer picks up. Even a small grocery store would have 100 or more customers on an average day.
    Around here, they are open about that long too. So they have a backlog - order today and cant pickup until, say, Saturday. They tell you that when you order. Don't know about where Lowell lives.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    SWMBO went to the store this morning and bought essential items. We can go out to the grocery store from 8 to 10 AM. Other than that, we are to stay at home.

Fortunately, I have a project in the work shop.

A tree service cut down a tree nearby today. I don't know how they broke the quarantine. I am also reading a book on my tablet. If this lasts, I will be downloading another book. We get two newspapers every morning, so breakfast and reading keeps me occupied.

Even without the current situation, I read 3-5 books...a week, Lowell. I suspect you'll need that next book real soon now! This isn't going to be over for a while.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    This morning was my first foray into shopping with the seniors. Candy didn't want to get up that early.

It seemed at least as crowded as most weekday afternoons, just no kids or young folks.

Learned something though, the day old bakery goods shelves are rolled into place before 8:00am. Much better selection at then than my usual shopping time.

A lot of the deli salad type items were pre-packed. Not sure if that is for the current situation or if it is just the stuff left from the day before. A few of the items were in their normal tubs.

Should have enough milk and cat food to last a couple of weeks.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I am building drawers on my workbench and I have all material including drawer tracks. I am thinking about enameling the drawers. I will make wooden pulls for the drawers as well. I have some clear 1X12 wood and will thickness plane 1/2" drawer sides.