Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something for the Experts....MYSTERY, "50" watt laser

Something for the Experts....MYSTERY, "50" watt laser

OK,here's a good one. For some time I've had to fire my pieces asclose to the left upper corner to not get ghosting.... It's aligneddead center, beam not hitting cone, everything clean.... then even inupper left corner in an array I'd get ghosting on a few.....Everything tight, belts check out tight, perfectalignment...... I painted inside of cone end white to see if itwas reflecting off of that..(it would burn off some paint andindicate if it was hitting) ..it stayed clean.....THEN tried anotherlens, because everything up to there was clean, nice center burn ontest, hitting perfect everywhere.....so, I was setting up red dotwith new lens and guess what, I got a Happy Face...on PULSE...dot inthe middle with a nice little smile.......SOOO, I had another lenshead/cone, decided what the heck, a really short cone....I installedthat, did ramp test to get focal point....fired off a few cuts, niceand clean...no ghost, no secondary lines. super fine clean lines.Didn't cut very deep though.... Then another consistent recentproblem entered again....the air assist hose that I had splicedtogether because a very strange thing kept happening (3 times in 2days the hose, inside the machine underneath kept "breaking,like a clean knife cut...the tubing was nice and supple....then itdid it again, clean like a razor cut...then again....then itwas OK for a week. luckily I was standing there today when ithappened because without the air assist and the cone just mm's fromthe surface...and the flames rolling up...would have beenbad....HMMM???) .Turned off machine , fixed hose turned iton.....it went to Home in right corner....and didn't want tostop...stepper motor kept going..clack, clack, clack,clack.......Quickly shut off. This is a blue and white,"50 wattChinese" that has been very good to me for quite afew years....I put in new tube and power supply a month and a halfago and it's been ....kicking Butt, cutting at 70% one pass what usedto take 95% and 4 passes..firing micro thin lines in scan ..BUT nowit's being a problem.....I tried hitting the "origin"button to stop it from going up left and hacking as someone suggestedthis....didn't work....... I pushed the left directional button onpanel to unstick if it was stuck....don't see any wiring probs in thelimit switches....... is there a way to test these? Anyway I am Puzzled to say the least.....any of you experts out therehave a clue?

Thanks

Talking about hard to read!!

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Talking about hard to read!!
    +1, for sure.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thank you, very very helpful...

Thank you, very useful information........ you are a Saint...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Michael Wilson View Post
    Thank you, very useful information........ you are a Saint...
    Well, you're right. So let me try it a different way.... You might consider a reformat Jeff. It's easy to do and maybe it will get you some more help if it's more readable. This is a good group and I'm sure they'll try to help.

Best of luck.
    Fred

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I'm not sure what you want, it's totally clear on my page...I'm not writing like I'm talking to 10 year old's...figure most folks have the ability to extrapolate..... My professors always used me as the example of the guy that was concise, didn't waste words trying to fill up space trying to look smart, but rather was very concise and treated the reader as though they were intelligent.... I am a very busy person , maybe rare these days....I don't have a lot of time to waste coddling folks ....So I don't know what you mean by re-format. I just wrote it out as if I was talking to intelligent folks........ My questions and problems seem pretty clear, I was just trying to give the Big Picture of everything that was going on so that persons that might have knowledge on the subject could help. You know exactly what I am talking about....you can't deny that, but rather then being decent about it and responding if you have any clues, you criticize the presentation...which you are totally intelligent enough to discern the problem from. SO.....how can I make it simpler for you, which part do you really Not understand?

Probably just me, friend. I'd find that easier to read broken into dicrete paragraphs. Again, just me. I'll bet the laser experts will be just fine and help you. Take care.
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 03-22-2020 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I'll bet the laser experts will be just fine and help you.

Fred
    This one has no intention of doing so.....
    You did what !

Thanks...I've bypassed the problem of the proximity switch....BUT INTERESTING, and this should make it easier to figure out....It burns nice and clear and defined on Scan.....but double image on cut.... I was only running on Cut before, tried this..and WTH?
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Probably just me, friend. I'd find that easier to read broken into dicrete paragraphs. Again, just me. I'll bet the laser experts will be just fine and help you. Take care.
    Fred

SO.....how can I make it simpler for you, which part do you really Not understand?

Without sentences, paragraphs and proper grammar I doubt if any Professor would approve. I'm sorry we are such a bore,perhaps trying another website?
    Last edited by Bill George; 03-22-2020 at 6:26 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

When you were in school, did you ever use an outline?....ever use Bullet Points? It's pretty clear what I'm saying, and you know exactly what I'm saying, but you choose to be an ass about it..... I know you are not as dumb as you pretend... You could simply answer the questions posed.... I did a work around for the proximity switch problem until I can get a new one... But today the Mystery got ever weirder..... I've been getting a double image when I cut out pieces.... My laser is in Perfect alignment, new mirrors, lens's...PERFECT. That is Not the issue....so today, just for fun I fired a couple other files....Both have very fine detailed pictures in one layer, then the cut.... (The Raster layer.)..the fine detailed pictures came out PERFECT, clean, clear with perfect fine detail....then the Cut (Vector layer) I presume....had a double (ghost) line..... This kind of blew out the whole lens or alignment theory in my mind....a perfect detail on scan....a double image on cut....And it has nothing to do with movement of the carriage because if I pulse it....I get a cute little cyclops happy face.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Michael Wilson View Post
    OK,here's a good one. For some time I've had to fire my pieces asclose to the left upper corner to not get ghosting.... It's aligneddead center, beam not hitting cone, everything clean.... then even inupper left corner in an array I'd get ghosting on a few.....Everything tight, belts check out tight, perfectalignment...... I painted inside of cone end white to see if itwas reflecting off of that..(it would burn off some paint andindicate if it was hitting) ..it stayed clean.....THEN tried anotherlens, because everything up to there was clean, nice center burn ontest, hitting perfect everywhere.....so, I was setting up red dotwith new lens and guess what, I got a Happy Face...on PULSE...dot inthe middle with a nice little smile.......SOOO, I had another lenshead/cone, decided what the heck, a really short cone....I installedthat, did ramp test to get focal point....fired off a few cuts, niceand clean...no ghost, no secondary lines. super fine clean lines.Didn't cut very deep though.... Then another consistent recentproblem entered again....the air assist hose that I had splicedtogether because a very strange thing kept happening (3 times in 2days the hose, inside the machine underneath kept "breaking,like a clean knife cut...the tubing was nice and supple....then itdid it again, clean like a razor cut...then again....then itwas OK for a week. luckily I was standing there today when ithappened because without the air assist and the cone just mm's fromthe surface...and the flames rolling up...would have beenbad....HMMM???) .Turned off machine , fixed hose turned iton.....it went to Home in right corner....and didn't want tostop...stepper motor kept going..clack, clack, clack,clack.......Quickly shut off. This is a blue and white,"50 wattChinese" that has been very good to me for quite afew years....I put in new tube and power supply a month and a halfago and it's been ....kicking Butt, cutting at 70% one pass what usedto take 95% and 4 passes..firing micro thin lines in scan ..BUT nowit's being a problem.....I tried hitting the "origin"button to stop it from going up left and hacking as someone suggestedthis....didn't work....... I pushed the left directional button onpanel to unstick if it was stuck....don't see any wiring probs in thelimit switches....... is there a way to test these? Anyway I am Puzzled to say the least.....any of you experts out therehave a clue?

Thanks
    Yeah, I made it like two lines into that mess and my eyes glazed over. Let me see if I can help on the formatting side.

Edit: It helped some. I can see why he used all of the ellipses, a lot of his sentences sort of trail off or don't seem all that relevant to whatever the problem is at hand.

OK, here's a good one:
    For some time now I've had to fire my pieces as close to the left upper corner to not get ghosting. It's aligned dead center, beam not hitting cone, everything clean-- then even in upper left corner in an array I'd get ghosting on a few. Everything tight, belts check out tight, perfect alignment.

I painted the inside of cone end white to see if it was reflecting off of that (it would burn some paint and indicate if it was hitting), it stayed clean. THEN tried another lens because everything up there was clean, nice center burn on test, hitting perfect everywhere. So I was setting up red dot with new lens and guess what? I got a Happy face on PULSE. Dot in the middle with a nice smile.

SOOO, I had another lens head/cone, decided what the heck, a really short cone. I installed that, did ramp test to get focal point, fired off a few cuts, nice and clean-- no ghost, no secondary lines. Super fine, clean lines. Didn't cut very deep though. Then another recent, consistent problem entered again- the air assist hose that I had spliced together because a very strange thing kept happening (3 times in 2 days the hose inside the machine underneath kept breaking like a clean cut knife cut-- the tubing was nice and supple, Then it did it again, clean like a razor cut, then again it was okay for a week. Luckily I was standing there today when it happened because, without the air assist and the cone just mm's from the surface and the flames rolling up would have been bad. HMMM???).

Turned off the machine, fixed the hose, turned it on. It went to Home in the right corner and didn't want to stop. Stepper motor kept going clack, clack, clack, clack. Quickly shit off.

This is a blue and white "50W Chinese" that has been very good to me for quite a few years. I put in a new tube and power supply a month and a half ago and it's been kicking butt, cutting at 70% in one pass what used to take 95% and 4 passes. Firing micro thin lines in scan BUT now it's being a problem. I tried hitting the "origin" button to stop it from going up to the left and hacking as someone suggested. This didn't work. I pushed the left directional button on panel to unstick if it was stuck. Don't see any wiring probs in the limit switches. Is there a way to test these? Anyway, I am puzzled to say the least. Any of you experts out there have a clue?

My response:
    That's a long story and I actually read (retyped) the whole thing. Are you just asking if there's a way to test the limit switches? Yes, try manually triggering them while the machine is running and see if it trips. For your other issues, I have no idea. Clearly you're getting a stray beam that's getting your air hose. For the rest of it, I'm not familiar enough with the machine to be of much help.
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

Matt
    You have more patience than I.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Wow, I tried, but I failed. Dude, We are ALL busy, don't come here thinking this is a group of kids that are playing with lasers.
    Do you have an ENTER key on your computer?

Why don't you use it?

And DROP the dang multiple periods.........
    I DO the same occasionally, but not after EVERY sentence.

And Eliminate the extraneous information.
    The Air assist isn't causing you any issues with this situation is only a hindrance to understanding.

Raster is OK, but vector isn't. Is that the jist of this problem? Software issue perhaps?
    Duplicate outline? Change your Mirrors. sounds like that you may be getting a duplicate ghost (especially if it is really a light ghost) and the mirror(s) may be at fault.

But LOSE the attitude, and write out the problem and what you have done that pertain JUST to the issue you are having.
    Or go away......
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others