Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keepsake box

Keepsake box

Building for Granddaughters, this is #3 of 4 all are similar design with different inlays

Addie KeepsakeBox_2.jpg AddieKeepsakeBox-3.jpg

Thanks for looking.
    Ray
    Just trying to learn

Beautiful work, Jay. They will love those.

Very nice! I love the contrasting colors, the inlay and the dark "keys" on the joints.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Those are just beautiful. Well done.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I am also a fan of the contrasting colors and the dovetail keys. Nice job. The box looks great!
    Last edited by Joe A Faulkner; 03-21-2020 at 3:18 PM.

Great job. It has that family heirloom quality!

Blog Entries
    The box looks GREAT...
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Fine box Ray, I like the beveled lid.

Beautiful Ray! Well done Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Solid design elements and well executed.

You did a beautiful job. The only suggestion I would make to you is to use thinner material for the sides. The sides just look too thick to me for the size of the box.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Ray, I'd like to know how you did the match-up of the top and back side, in order to get the hinges in exactly the right place. Just by measuring and marking carefully? Routed with a jig? I have a lot of trouble getting that done easily.

I'm not Ray, but the way I'd do it is to first make the mortises for the hinges on the sides. Then put the top down on the bench upside down. Place the box on top of the top and put it in the position you want it to be in reference to the top. The back of the top will be aligned with the back side. You might want to put a clamp on the box to hold it down firmly against the top - just so it doesn't move.

Then take a knife and transfer the location of the hinge mortises on the back side to the top. Remove clamp and box. Use your hinge, aligned to the knife marks and mark the outline of the hinge leaf. Route or chisel out the hinge mortise on the top. Should fit pretty close.

(You could also do it in reverse - put the box down on your bench, place the top in place, clamp so it doesn't move and then mark upwards on the top from the hinge mortises. Just a bit more difficult to see what you're doing.)

Mike

[This is a bit different situation, but here's how I set hinges on a box with a different kind of top.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 03-23-2020 at 1:53 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I think I’ve tried every method to accurately align the top and bottom for the hinges, and Mike’s suggestion is the one that I have found to be the best for me. Even then a very slight mis-alignment can occur which I find can be easily remedied with a card scraper.

Very nice work. How did you make the bills on the hummingbirds without breaking them off? Also, how are you able to make the mortises for the bills?

Thanks for sharing.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!