Thread: Supermax 19-38 Drum/Brush Sander

Supermax 19-38 Drum/Brush Sander

I have a normal SuperMax 19-38 Drum sander and have been very pleased with it.

I'm on the second phase of a project that will have around 300 pieces of shaped lumber that will all need sanding prior to painting and then after priming.

The majority of these will be elliptical shutter louvers. When making these on my moulder, it requires two passes to cut the elliptical profile on each side. The second pass uses a support bed that is the compliment to the first cut side.

The Superman Brush sander looks like it could be seriously time saving doing all these louvers. I figured I could pass each louver through the brush sander on a bed similar to what I use on the moulder.

So my question is, using the Supermax 19-38 Drum/Brush sander, can I get a 200-320 grit level of finish?

Thanks

Chris,

I recalled seeing these recently: https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools...tools-60-2220s

But, I'm not sure how effective they would be. You might try calling SuperMax/Laguna to see if they have any finer grit.

I use 10"d x 4"w flap wheels on a horizontal shaft. Get the 240 grit.

https://www.supergrit.com/products/p...tourflapwheels

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    I use 10"d x 4"w flap wheels on a horizontal shaft. Get the 240 grit.

https://www.supergrit.com/products/p...tourflapwheels
    On what machine?

Blog Entries
    I find that the finish from sanding mops is finer than the grit provides when block sanding. I run 150, 220, 320 and 400 on this shop made tool.

de-pelter-quattro (18).jpg

This is not a solution for your need but, a commentary on the result of a similar process. I love my 19-38 and would love to get a brush sander.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I thought about trying to sell my 19-38 Suoermax Drum Sander and getting the Drum/Brush Combo version, but at $2800, I think I'm just having to knuckle down and use my normal sander.

After reviewing my project plans, I have 270 louvers I need to sand on both side and 120 frame pieces that need sanding on all four sides, and all these need a pass prior to priming and then another another.

It took me about 3-4 days, to do this, when I made my last batch.

Also the sanding media, that goes on the drum, is about $300, and I have no knowledge of how long this lasts. There are very few videos on YouTube.