Thread: the gold method" or photograv.

the gold method" or photograv.

Hello, Im researching the the best photo preparation for lasering and came accross a forum that redirected me to Sawmill Creek lasering section. The site mentioned
    the 'Gold method' or Photograv. Could someone direct me to a link that explains these? I would like to laser a photo image on to a mirror if its possible. I have had success with some DXF on
    mirrors ( backside ) and am curious to know if a decent image can be obtained on a mirror / glass.

Thanks in advance Dermot

At top right corner on your screen click on advanced search and search the site for "GOLD METHOD"
    There is a number of threads on subject.

BTW, ULS has a "1-Touch laser photo" that you can download 30 day free trial.
    Last edited by Tony Lenkic; 03-21-2020 at 12:47 PM.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

i believe the concensus is that Photograv is good software--just too expensive. The Gold method works and another place you might try is Mike Clark's Trotec web site. He works some magic with photos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5v9...ndex=13&t=219s
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

What's more important to you - time or money? If you need to have something done fairly quickly, without as much of a learning curve, then either 1-touch or Photograv would be best. If you have time to experiment and adjust settings, then the Gold Method is the way to go. If I need to get a paying job done then I would buy the appropriate software, if I'm just doing it for myself then I'm usually willing to spend some time vs money.

Quote Originally Posted by dermot upton View Post
    Hello, Im researching the the best photo preparation for lasering and came accross a forum that redirected me to Sawmill Creek lasering section. The site mentioned
    the 'Gold method' or Photograv. Could someone direct me to a link that explains these? I would like to laser a photo image on to a mirror if its possible. I have had success with some DXF on
    mirrors ( backside ) and am curious to know if a decent image can be obtained on a mirror / glass.

Thanks in advance Dermot

so now I know what it feels like to get your finger into the path of a full power incident beam!
    lazr.jpg
    stings like a mutha for a few seconds!

Got it engraving this stock on the Explorer--
    rstock2jpg.jpg
    -- I was continually refocusing the face to compensate for the curve, focus stick in my left hand, right finger on the pause-resume button, was stopping and adjusting about every 15 swipes of the gantry. Then the one time I raised my left hand while hitting the resume, but hadn't pulled my hand back yet... Felt just like that hot poker everyone talks about! A tiny poker, but plenty hot!

Anyway, just wanted to point out that 1-Touch is responsible for the photo. It is literally One Touch. All I do is fiddle with the contrast a bit. I don't do many photo's, but it's never failed me yet.

The wood on this stock is about as bad as you can get for engraving a face on, but came out better than I expected!
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 03-22-2020 at 3:00 AM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

That stock came out fantastic Kev! The contrast between the very sharp graphics and the more subdued photo give it a very cool effect.

I've only lasered myself once and it was on my fiber. I reached for the part a millisecond before it stopped lasering and caught my fingernail in the beam. No pain at all, just a burn mark where it hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    so now I know what it feels like to get your finger into the path of a full power incident beam!
    lazr.jpg
    stings like a mutha for a few seconds!

Got it engraving this stock on the Explorer--
    rstock2jpg.jpg
    -- I was continually refocusing the face to compensate for the curve, focus stick in my left hand, right finger on the pause-resume button, was stopping and adjusting about every 15 swipes of the gantry. Then the one time I raised my left hand while hitting the resume, but hadn't pulled my hand back yet... Felt just like that hot poker everyone talks about! A tiny poker, but plenty hot!

Anyway, just wanted to point out that 1-Touch is responsible for the photo. It is literally One Touch. All I do is fiddle with the contrast a bit. I don't do many photo's, but it's never failed me yet.

The wood on this stock is about as bad as you can get for engraving a face on, but came out better than I expected!

Hi Tony , I tried to use the search box but it redirects me away from Sawmill Creek. I have read a little about the 1-Touch laser photo but will have to read alot more! Thanks anyway for the info.

Another option is LightBurn Software. They have added a lot of photo processing capabilities into it lately, including halftone support. If you don't have a laser compatible with LightBurn, you can always process the photo there and export to Bitmap as well. 30 day free trial, and only $80 to purchase.
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    I've only lasered myself once and it was on my fiber. I reached for the part a millisecond before it stopped lasering and caught my fingernail in the beam. No pain at all, just a burn mark where it hit.
    This my 4th time -a reflection off the downhill side of an SS tube blasted my face with heat and left my mustache smoldering (LS900), had a reflection from my Triumph fiber hit my face with heat, my ebay2 fiber engraved my finger, stepped on the foot pedal too soon, and now this one. Don't need no more battle scars!

Quote Originally Posted by dermot upton View Post
    Hi Tony , I tried to use the search box but it redirects me away from Sawmill Creek. I have read a little about the 1-Touch laser photo but will have to read alot more! Thanks anyway for the info.
    just below the search box it says "advanced search", click that one
    Also, you can download 1-touch and try it out for free, link below, the 'download free trial' button is right in front-
    https://www.ulsinc.com/discover-uls-...ch-laser-photo
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thanks Mike, that youtube link opened up a new world for me.