Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Problems with Edging Around Tabletop

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Julian, if I'm seeing this right, it looks like you didnt break as many "woodworking principles" as you might think.
    *The boards that go cross grain on the underside look like they only attach to each board in the table top in about its middle. Because of that, and the gaps between them, each board is able to expand/contract across its width. Maybe her picnic table idea actually saved the top?
    * It's hard to tell for sure, but the boards on the ends (that look like faux breadboards) seem to be fastened into the boards around them in a way that doesn't constrain wood movement.
    * Thinking about it, maybe the screws also give just a little (bend or flex) in a way that a rigid glue joint wouldn't.

Is that actually what you did Julian? I cant tell for sure but I think that would explain why it's holding together. (I think!) If so, good for you man!
    Good eye, yes you are correct. The cross members are attached to each board with a screw in the middle. The long center beam is attached to each cross member with a lag bolt. The breadboards are standard mortise and tenon construction with a faux board attached beneath. There was no glue used anywhere in this table. Each year during her Christmas party I slip into the dining room and give it the once over. The tabletop has remained straight and true best I can tell without putting a long straight end on it. The only change I can see is a little more space between the boards from the cross grain shrinkage. But the spaces are uniform throughout the length of each board so it's hardly noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I don't think it's sad that people new woodworkers make mistakes; it's sad when experienced ones discourage and disparage them. It's furniture. Nobody's dying. The OP's willing to fix mistakes and is asking to learn.
    I dont think its sad either. The safd part pertained to the home/diy programs espousing horrifically flawed practices that catch fire and then someone exited for a new endeavor makes the mistake of jumping the gun and thinking its just sticking some boards together and some home center stain and clear and selling work. Im not trying to beat up on anyone who enjoys working with wood and would love to make a full or part time profession out of it. The issue is that when you _start_charging_people_ and taking on work the entire game changes. You are not suppose to learn on someone elses dime. Everyone including the 60 year "master" is likely learning on every single project they do even if its the ten thousandth time theyve made the item but. Build a few tables dead finished for your shop and keep them around for a year. Give them to friends, family. Leave them out in the sun, in the rain, see how they hold up.

Im sorry but you can read these scenarios all over. This has been going on, and getting a bit worse for years, these shows and outlets float some utterly flawed practice that catches fire and before you know it there are consumers out there with work that's got issues and they are coming back to the maker for resolution. Wonderful in this case making it right is the goal but a lot the stories you read the money is gone, the people are gone, theyve got a half a dozen or more people beating on the door with the same problem, and its a bad situation. As with everything its the risk all parties take, buyer, maker, and so on. I have no problem with 5 shops opening up next door and thankfully dont make retail work very often. But a lot of this stuff makes it much more complicated for others in business.
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 03-23-2020 at 2:12 PM.

Looks like the top shrunk about 1/2" and is only showing at one side. Guessing the other end is similar. I'm guessing that the wood has shrunk (shrinked) and will probably not grow all the way back to original size. Trim the excess and tough up the finish. It should be ok.