Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thanks to Hoarders

We routinely buy white and whole wheat flour and rolled oats in 50 pound bags from a Mennonite store about 20 miles north of here, and right now we're around 1/3 to 1/2 a bag of each so we're all set for at least another month. We keep the bags in plastic garbage cans in the pantry so that any mice that get in the building can't get into the bags. My sister has milk goats so milk is not an issue, and we have a lot of canned and frozen vegetables, fruits and meat from last year's garden, pig and meat rabbits, so if we had to we could go a long time without going to the store, though we normally do go once a week or so. Sometimes being a troglodyte is not a bad thing, at least for the duration of a crisis.

The supply chain is still adjusting which is why there's nothing one hour and a pallet of something the next...and this is all fueled by folks "over-buying". If people would go back to normal buying quantities or only minor bumps, things would smooth out a little.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The supply chain is still adjusting which is why there's nothing one hour and a pallet of something the next...and this is all fueled by folks "over-buying". If people would go back to normal buying quantities or only minor bumps, things would smooth out a little.

Went into town earlier to day to get Sunday paper. Because of delivery problems here, we get paper at daughter's house which is on our way to church. Ran by Food Lion to get a box of Black Cherry Ice Cream. They were only putting four rolls of paper towels out at the time, to prevent hoarding. Meat case was basically empty, along with paper goods.

A friend of mine received her order of TP from Amazon
    Epilog Mini 24-45W, Corel Draw X6, Photoshop CS5, Multi Cam CNC

About a week before the feces hit the fan my bride found “our brand” on sale at Costco. She grabbed three bales of TP and one bale of paper towels. We’re good until this summer. I was in the local grocery store on Thursday and the meat department was out of everything except expensive steaks, chicken legs, and baby back ribs. I grabbed a couple packs of drumsticks. The produce department was fully stocked, but they were completely out of flour.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Costco just announced that they will now have special shopping hours for "mature" folks (60+) on Tuesday/Thursday 8-9am nationwide. That should hopefully help a little around getting some of those things that many of us enjoy buying there but have been unable to get. Rob, when I was in last week, there was no fresh fish, no pork, no chicken, no soup and no eggs. They had kombucha staying cold in all the fish/chicken/meat coolers. They did have some Prime beef, but in the paper products isle were...tulips. Fresh tulips. Interesting alternative to TP for sure. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The virus clearly gives the "runs". The brain done "runs" out the door. SMH

We are on Stay in place shelter since 5 PM yesterday. I will still go to work tomorrow because it's "critical infrastructure". I have documents issued by the company to present if I am stopped. People can still get gas, groceries and prescriptions. I stopped at several stores yesterday not because we need TP but because my daughter in Ohio is struggling to find it. 4 stores and nothing. They said they can't keep it in stock. I grabbed a gallon of milk. No shortage of that. There might be ovens used that haven't been used in years. One would think that some of this would level out in a few more days. It's the same thing when they predict a blizzard. Bread and milk fly off the shelves. When is the last time they have been stranded at home for more than 24 hours?

People overreact they tell us There is no food shortage just delivery delays because of hoarders.we went to three stores Saturday morning for bread milk and a few other items.milk is no problem bread we finally found at the last store.oh well hope all are well and stay well.

I went to the store today and there were more things on the shelves. I didn't check for toilet paper but they had lots of milk. I was looking for dried Great Northern beans to make bean soup but they were sold out of all dried beans. I did get some Great Northern in cans and I can use that.

I think the run on the grocery stores is starting to wind down.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by jim sauterer View Post
    People overreact they tell us There is no food shortage just delivery delays because of hoarders.we went to three stores Saturday morning for bread milk and a few other items.milk is no problem bread we finally found at the last store.oh well hope all are well and stay well.
    My daughter is in Avon Lake. Close to you.

Wow, special hours for seniors, what a relief! I can finally get a two week supply of Depends, laxatives, fiber, and Dentucreme.

Seriously, we found plain white and wheat bread gone, but the expensive 12 or 21 multi-grain breads (which we eat) are in stock. Lean Cuisine gone, but the expensive Stouffers brand (which we eat) were plentiful. Cheap Campbell's soup gone, but Progresso Soup (which we use) is in stock. This may be more of a statement of our crappy neighborhood than what people are actually hoarding.
    Regards,

Tom

I don't get the flour and sugar hoarding thing. Canned soup, ramen noodles, maybe even cheese, make sense (sort of) but flour does not. The only people I personally know that bake are a few 70 year old women and me. And people like us normally keep 10 pounds on hand as it is (you never know when there might be a bake sale emergency. That actually happened to me ). Most people wouldn't know what to do with a sack of flour if their life depended on it.

The shortage of eggs makes a little more sense. From the note at the grocery store, it sounds like a fair amount of them are being used in vaccine research for COVID19.

What you need is a wife who is a serious coupon clipper. We never had to suffer crazy crowds, as we have stashes of TP all over the place.
    I remember as a kid visiting the grand parents who did not have indoor plumbing and the use of an outhouse was the plan. Piles of newspaper and such was the order of the day. You do what you gotta do.

Hoarding actually makes sense now that we are not supposed to go out shopping for two weeks or maybe the duration. I do not have two months worth of canned goods and frozen food in the house.
    Bil lD

Besides hoarding general shortages of food many mentioned above may be linked to a downturn in people going to restaurants. Less food consumed at restaurants translates to more food bought at grocery stores. Foods are packaged differently for Commercial use and Sysco is probably sitting on warehouses of product intended for sale in restaurants, hotels, etc. Hopefully, they can offload the perishables before they go bad.

I have completely filled a shopping cart twice in the last five days with just food — no paper products. It doesn’t last long when making three meals a day for a family of four.

On another note making homemade bread can be quite rewarding and a great way to pass a little time if you are home bound.