Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thanks to Hoarders

Thanks to Hoarders

TP.jpg

Guess it's time to learn a new skill

Well, we could do lot of jokes with that opening line.

We just ordered bidet seats for two of the toilets. Not inexpensive, we had been thinking about it for a while, and decided to buy them now. When I ordered them, the sales agent said these were there hottest seller right now, other than freezers.

Funny thing, they put a hold on the order and sent an email asking me to call them. When I called, they said gimme a minute, and came back and said everything was fine, they will be delivered via UPS next week. I asked what was the problem, and they replied there was hoarding of bidet seats, so they were verifying customers first and also limiting orders.

I noticed at Sam's Club earlier the only thing on the tp isle were a few boxes of bidets for sale.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Must TP we buy now days comes 24 to a pack, most people I know haven’t bought more than 1 or where limited by the store. What ticks me off is the eBay sellers trying to get $25k for a 24 pack.

I live in Lewiston, ID which is the location of the Clearwater Paper Company. Yes, they do make TP. Clarkston, WA is a drive across the Snake River on one of 2 short bridges to the west of us where our local Costco is located. An article in the local paper this morning stated that Clearwater Paper had shipped 216,000 rolls of TP so far this month to the local Costco. That was more than they shipped to the local Costco for the entire year of 2019.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

9FE1A538-E2EB-402D-A422-A7FE0465E9C8.jpg
    Not much left at my local grocery store...

Our local Dollar General has TP. It is not on the shelves, but if you ask for it, they will sell you 1 six-pack of mega rolls. The clerk indicated that if they see a "repeat" customer, they are to decline selling a 2nd six-pack.

Tom,

I've heard that the shelves are getting restocked, but cleaned out early in the morning. If you have a Meijer store nearby, you might give them a try on Tuesday or Thursday. They've announced that on those mornings, they'll open the store for senior citizens and people with chronic health issues only, at 7:00 am, before opening to the general public at 8:00.

Lucky us. About a month ago, while in Costco, I picked up a bale, as last time I was in storage room, there was three rolls left. We keep extra rolls in each bathroom, so the shelf wasn't totally bare. I forgot that I had a bale in the shop, so we are "good to go" for a long time. With there being only wife and I, a bale will last us about three months, or more.

I don't get it. We buy large packs, like 24-30 rolls to a pack and it lasts the two of us about 6 months. Are these hoarders with super large families or does the virus give you the runs?
    Regards,

Tom

Thomas
    The virus gives people the opportunity to be “profiteers”.
    They’re buying it to resell on social networks.

Eventually everyone will have a big stack of toilet paper in their house and people will stop buying. Then they'll be a glut of it until the manufacturers slow down production.

I don't understand the shortage of milk. What are people doing with all that milk? Are they freezing it? Dairies have to milk their cows so production has to be about the same as it was before this scare.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Yea, the milk thing is interesting, Mike...either folks are suddenly drinking a lot more of it or are starting to drink it for the first time. Most stores have now put a limit on it, especially on the more specialty types. Our older daughter uses Lactose free milk and that's been even more limited. Fortunately, the market she works in has been getting a good supply and limiting customers to one or two for a purchase. I do have a little more of it in the fridge than normal but that' simply because I could only get it in a gallon container...I only use it for my morning latté. About 6 oz a day, give or take.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, I agree it's interesting. We also use the Lactaid stuff ,and buy 2 or 3 at a time. I might try keeping a usage log for
    a week or two ,really don't know how we use so much.

Same goes for flour. Walmart, and Aldi's were out of flour earlier this week. Yesterday, Aldi's had a new pallet of flour. I use Aldi's all purpose flour for most baking. I use a locally produced brand of self rising flour to make biscuits. Walmart dropped them last October, along with Blue Bonnet margarine, both of which I use in my biscuit making. Walmart marked down existing stock from $2.08 (five pound) bag to $1.50. I bought all they had. Opened last bag Saturday week ago, so I needed to restock. Food Lion sells same bag for $2.68, so I had to "bite the bullet," and buy four bags at their price (OUCH!) Went to two stores to find a total of four bags. In each store, only the most expensive flour was on the shelf. I guess there are going to be a lot more bakers now. Here, Costco dropped milk to $1.74 a gallon. Nearest Walmart dropped theirs to $1.79 a gallon, but Walmart in next town is still $2.93 a gallon. In Sanford (25 miles away) there is a Super Walmart, Lidi's, and Aldi's within a half mile of each other, so their price has always been lower. "Life is what you bake it."
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 03-21-2020 at 9:55 PM.