Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Thanks to Hoarders

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Got a 12-pak of Angel Soft at Walmart last Tuesday. They have virtually everything on the shelves needed 'to survive', bread, dairy, veggies, meats, cheese... What I still can't find anywhere is Lysol, alcohol, peroxide, most anything that sanitizes..
    I was at Walmart a week ago Friday and the only thing on your list they had in stock was veggies. The paper products aisle was totally empty at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Looking for Tylenol or equivalent today, none to be found.
    This is because of a wide circulating message that some other analgesics supposedly speed up the infection so only acetaminophen should be used for pain and fever...which my understanding is isn't necessarily true. But someone said it on the Internet...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I was at Walmart a week ago Friday and the only thing on your list they had in stock was veggies. The paper products aisle was totally empty at that point.
    Brian, a gentleman buying peacocks lives in an area near a small town but removed 30 miles from the nearest larger towns and 50 miles from the closest city.

He said ALL of the local stores had no shortage of foots plus hand sanitizer, TP, disinfectants. However, when he went to a Walmart in a more populated area the shelves were bare. I wonder if there was something about the cultures of rural vs urban that might account for the hoarding impulse, people who grew up on farms vs those daily in crowds of people and traffic jams.

Also, the networking in rural areas is different - for example, I don't keep livestock for food but I know plenty of people who have beef or pork for sale or trade or sharing and there are so many chickens around here you usually can't give eggs away. (We are finding more people who will take them now!)

JKJ

The small grocery store our older daughter works in had a whole endcap yesterday of local distillery manufactured hand sanitizer for $6.99 a bottle. These are clear whisky bottles...even with frequent use, one of those will last a long time! Many distilleries are doing this, so check out the more neighborhood/specialty type of stores where it's more likely to get unique offers like this that the big-boxes don't offer.

-----
    John, local SPCA has two peacocks currently.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    This is because of a wide circulating message that some other analgesics supposedly speed up the infection so only acetaminophen should be used for pain and fever...which my understanding is isn't necessarily true. But someone said it on the Internet...
    This is from U.S. News and World Report on the source of the message:

On March 14, the French minister of health, Olivier Véran, issued a statement recommending that people infected with the novel coronavirus, which causes a potentially deadly upper respiratory disease called COVID-19, not use ibuprofen or aspirin to treat symptoms of the disease. Instead, he urged followers to take acetaminophen, noting that use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen could actually worsen the illness caused by the new coronavirus.

The story goes on to note that there is little support so far for his statement. In another article I read that discussed Véran's claim, a health expert recommended not taking any fever reducer for a mild fever, saying that fever is one of the body's defenses against viruses and other infections. I think that was in the NYTimes health section, though I can't recall. There was no mention of this advice in the U.S. News and World Report story.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    This is from U.S. News and World Report on the source of the message:

On March 14, the French minister of health, Olivier Véran, issued a statement recommending that people infected with the novel coronavirus, which causes a potentially deadly upper respiratory disease called COVID-19, not use ibuprofen or aspirin to treat symptoms of the disease. Instead, he urged followers to take acetaminophen, noting that use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen could actually worsen the illness caused by the new coronavirus.

The story goes on to note that there is little support so far for his statement. In another article I read that discussed Véran's claim, a health expert recommended not taking any fever reducer for a mild fever, saying that fever is one of the body's defenses against viruses and other infections. I think that was in the NYTimes health section, though I can't recall. There was no mention of this advice in the U.S. News and World Report story.
    Recent research has indicated a statistically significant link between acetominophen use by pregnant women, and the onset of ADHD and autism in the child.

One reference among many: https://www.medpagetoday.com/obgyn/pregnancy/83040

I absolutely hate that stuff. It has liver toxicity issues as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The small grocery store our older daughter works in had a whole endcap yesterday of local distillery manufactured hand sanitizer for $6.99 a bottle. These are clear whisky bottles...even with frequent use, one of those will last a long time! Many distilleries are doing this, so check out the more neighborhood/specialty type of stores where it's more likely to get unique offers like this that the big-boxes don't offer.

-----
    John, local SPCA has two peacocks currently.
    Hmmm... Wonder if they would email them?

Speaking earlier of alcohol and aloe vera, I found a good price on aloe vera on Amazon, 48 oz for $20, but out of stock with an estimated ship date of April 14th. I ordered four days ago without confidence it would even arrive by the 14th but it came today! With plenty of 99% alcohol and squeeze bottles I can make lots of hand sanitizer now. Anyone in the area who can't find it swing by and I'll throw some over the fence.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    I absolutely hate that stuff. It has liver toxicity issues as well.
    A friend's sister lost her life to an overdose of the stuff a number of years ago. Unfortunately, while I'm not fond of it, it's all I can take for pain management...I developed a sensitivity/toxicity to Ibuprofen while it was prescribed for joint pain over a longer period of time so acetaminophen is my best and only OTC choice that doesn't cause me other issues. It's a balancing act...
    --

Frankly, both I and the Mrs had parents who grew up in very hard times. There was ALWAYS enough supplies in the house to survive for a few months if the stores closed. Mom canned and froze food, Dad knew several farmers and we got a side of beef and a hog every year. Dad's buddy raised chickens and we helped process them for the freezer in exchange for a share. Flour and rice in the freezer, potatoes came in 50 lb bags. (There were 7 of us at home) Dad came home with a large case of eggs every couple months. He went to a produce auction and brought home cases of fruit and vegetables. Well forwrd fo years and Mrs. and I do similar. It isn't hoarding when you buy things when on sale and stock up for a few months. Bought a box of 72 rolls of TP between Christmas and New Years. Usually buy again when down to 5 or 6 rolls. We have our own beef, cases of vegetables in the pantry. Last october I bought 4 cases of limes and 2 cases of Lemons at the same produce auction for $ 2 dollars each. Juiced and froze them. Sipping on a hot Limeade with a little fortifier right now. Heck we have a freezer full of berries down stairs from our own berry bushes (50 blueberry bushes, 12 black berries) As long as the power holds out, we can survive for several months. It seems strange to us that many people can't.

Blog Entries
    If folks are supposed to be staying home, why the big push for hand sanitizers? Just wash your hands with soap and water as recommended. I have a tiny pocket bottle of sanitizer I use when out. Still using the first bottle. You don't need a whole lot.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    If folks are supposed to be staying home, why the big push for hand sanitizers? Just wash your hands with soap and water as recommended. I have a tiny pocket bottle of sanitizer I use when out. Still using the first bottle. You don't need a whole lot.
    When I got diesel fuel for the tractor yesterday I also carried wipes for the gas pump handle AND wore disposable gloves. After I took the gloves off I used a sanitizing wipe on my credit cared and the hand sanitizer in the car before I touched anything in the car. I make the hand sanitizer and put it in 4oz plastic squeeze bottles for the cars, the pocket, and for others. So far I've given out maybe 10 bottles.

I always use hand sanitizer before I get out of the car when I come home and wash up with soap in the house. May sound paranoid but...

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post

I always use hand sanitizer before I get out of the car when I come home and wash up with soap in the house. May sound paranoid but...

JKJ
    I just watched a CNN interview. It was 2 DRs with 3 kids. One Dr is staying home with the kids on the main floor. The other Dr (the mom) is working at the hospital with covid exposure. She is trying to live in the basement and stay separated from the main floor family. Both Dr parents use bleach to clean up constantly and say they feel it's still not enough!

It's crazy but it really helped me to watch that interview. My wife and I had just had a huge argument about how to mix the extended family with the science of this virus. I'm not so crazy if Drs are feeling the same way!
    Last edited by Andrew Joiner; 03-29-2020 at 3:52 PM.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

How about using leather, cloth, garden, or work gloves as an option for touching and handling things? They can be washed easily.

Soap and water is always the best solution for sanitizing one's hands...the soap/detergent breaks down the fatty glob that surrounds the virus which effectively ends its life pretty quick while also sending it down the drain. But there are still those times when having sanitizer is a good thing...washing one's hands isn't always possible. Gloves help but I actually use hand sanitizer on those before I take them off so I don't transfer anything to be hands during that process. The issue with sanitizer is that a lot of folks decided to buy and hoard it and many folks didn't already have some in their possession.

Thankfully, many of the distilleries are starting to make up for that and providing it in nice size glass containers for very reasonable cost.
    --