Thread: New source for wood

Blog Entries

New source for wood

As some of you know , I mostly make toys and small models, so most of my wood requirements are for pretty small pieces. My source for wood is usually the " shorts" room at the local millwork. I get some nice wood for $5-10 a small batch. Well I found a new and cheaper source. I live near the ocean so every day I walk 4 miles , some of it on the boardwalk along the Atlantic ocean ( it doesn't get much better than that) . There are houses being built all over town and every day I walk past a dumpster or two. For the last few days I have picked up some very nice dark (mahogony?) wood out of a dumpster. It does get a little heavy as I'm walking 3-4 blocks up my street carrying a couple of 8 foot boards. Wonder if I'll find anything today?
    Dennis

I always enjoy your models. Glad you found a new source. For carrying small stuff, you could try a small backpack, like the kids use for school. For the 8 footers? Maybe roller skates so you can get them home faster.

Looking forward to your next model!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

It amazes me at what gets thrown out by contractors and other kinds of fabrication businesses. I actually have a small arrangement with one local cabinetmaker to get his "nice" scraps and have taken or been given some pretty nice material by another cabinetmaker and a general contractor friend. Even things like strip flooring can be useful for small projects and general utility. Nice find on those mahogany boards, Dennis.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    That's how Clint Harp (the woodworking guy on Chip and Joanna Gaines' show "Fixer Upper") got started... re-purposing others' cast offs.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)