Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garden tiller

Dave,

Cincinnati CL currently has two Troy Built tillers listed by a gent in up in Lebanon, Ohio.

I bought one of his rebuilt (1980 vintage as I recall) Troy Built tillers 3-4 years ago... very satisfied with the unit and his work.

The only issue I've found is that the Timken bearings on either end of the driveshaft were a bit loose and developed a "clunk."

I added shims to reset the bearing preload and all is well.

Mike

I have a Gravley two wheel tractor unit. Get the older ones with a cast iron engine. An aluminum engine is too light to balance it correctly. Make sure it is electric start or buy a electric start conversion. Mine is rated 7.5 hp, that engine got replaced by 12-14 HP aluminum engines.
    They were designed so homeowners could plant victory gardens for the war effort. The great war ended right before they came onto the market. All cast iron, hard to break anything, all kinds of attachments can be bought. A BCS is a light weight knockoff.
    Bil lD

You would have to till a few acres to justify one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    You would have to till a few acres to justify one of these.
    Tom justify one of what, a tiller? I garden two plots each 14 ft X 28 ft, without a tiller I would not be able to garden more than a 10 X 1 plot.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Back when I was in high school my dad bought an Agria tiller 16 HP diesel 40 inch wide. Wish I had bought it at the auction but my sister wanted it. It is over 55 years old and still going strong

We went to raised beds, years ago, and haven't needed a tiller since.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I have a Gravley two wheel tractor unit. Get the older ones with a cast iron engine. An aluminum engine is too light to balance it correctly. Make sure it is electric start or buy a electric start conversion. Mine is rated 7.5 hp, that engine got replaced by 12-14 HP aluminum engines.
    They were designed so homeowners could plant victory gardens for the war effort. The great war ended right before they came onto the market. All cast iron, hard to break anything, all kinds of attachments can be bought. A BCS is a light weight knockoff.
    Bil lD
    keep the oils clean and they (gravelys) truly last decades. I have 3 different versions with a bunch of attachments mothballed at my mother’s place. Oldest one is a convertible from the sixties. The garden plow in low gear low range can do some fantastic work.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Fish View Post
    keep the oils clean and they (gravelys) truly last decades. I have 3 different versions with a bunch of attachments mothballed at my mother’s place. Oldest one is a convertible from the sixties. The garden plow in low gear low range can do some fantastic work.

Yep, that rotary plow takes a garden from unused to ready for planting in one step. But, if you are breaking new soil, look out for tree roots! Voice of experience, that thing will wrap up a big root, and follow it to the stump faster than you would believe.