Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garden tiller

Garden tiller

Starting to look at a new gas garden tiller.
    I now use a front tine tiller Rinks store brand unit purchased by my Dad in 1976 or 1977. Still use it today.

Looking at a rear tine. What do you recommend reverse or forward spin tines?

This is on my radar because of price. Can be had on sale for $499
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Powermat...196E/203714672

Are the new Troy bilt units any good?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Starting to look at a new gas garden tiller.
    I now use a front tine tiller Rinks store brand unit purchased by my Dad in 1976 or 1977. Still use it today.

Looking at a rear tine. What do you recommend reverse or forward spin tines?

This is on my radar because of price. Can be had on sale for $499
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Powermat...196E/203714672

Are the new Troy bilt units any good?
    I can't comment on the new Troy Bilts, but I have owned three of the older ones. It's a long story as to how I wound up with three. Ordered one new (7.0 HP PTO Horse,) friend was down sizing and made me a sweet deal on his Pony. Another friend used my Horse and told me to find her a used one, and she would pay me for it. Found one, bought it, and got home, only to find a message telling me not to buy her one as she resigned her job of 23 years that day. So I was proud owner of three (Two Horse models, and a Pony .) Sent newest Horse to FIL for use in the mountains at their summer home, and used older Horse here. Seldom used the Pony, and last year gave to my DIL. On the newer Horse, last year I replaced the carburetor, drive belt (first time in 33 years,) and patched a rust thru on gas tank. A few years back, added tube to tires. Based upon my experience, I would look at CL for a "Used" Horse model. Currently on Cincinatti CL is a TroyBilt Horse with brush guard for $500, OBO. It has brush guard which is a big PLUS Phone # 513-941-0266. Enter search word "tiller" to find ad. Based upon price and my experience, if I was closer and needed a tiller, I would be on it like a duck on a June Bug.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 03-20-2020 at 10:15 PM.

Troy built units are not anything special anymore. They went out of business and someone bought the name. they just slap a name tag on a existing model and add 50% to the price.
    Bil lD

On Edit: MTD makes them and more then 50% of all private label mowers/tillers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Troy built units are not anything special anymore. They went out of business and someone bought the name. they just slap a name tag on a existing model and add 50% to the price.
    Bil lD

On Edit: MTD makes them and more then 50% of all private label mowers/tillers.
    The MTD made TroyBilt front tine tillers are junk at best. Transmission case is crimped together, so nothing can be fixed. For front tine, give me a Merry (own two) any day.

Blog Entries
    I would advise looking for an older used Troy Bilt tiller. They are pretty bulletproof. I have owned a 7 HP Horse for over 40 years and it is still in good shape. Parts are available if repairs are needed.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I use a Cub Cadet RT65. I just replaced the engine after dropping the intake valve, but I really like the tiller. I was really surprised to find a "new" replacement Honda engine on the internet for ~$200. I also recommend watching FB Marketplace or similar for a used machine.

About $5000 will get you a BCS with 13HP Honda engine and 30" tiller. With normal care, it'll outlive you and your kids.

TroyBilt prior to 2000 were made by Gardenway. Their testing was to hire a bunch of college kids to run the tillers every day over the summer until they failed. The ones that broke were taken and pulled apart to see why they failed.. Another great company put out of business by greed.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    About $5000 will get you a BCS with 13HP Honda engine and 30" tiller. With normal care, it'll outlive you and your kids.
    I have a smaller BCS about $2500, and is fantastic.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Coffman View Post
    I use a Cub Cadet RT65. I just replaced the engine after dropping the intake valve, but I really like the tiller. I was really surprised to find a "new" replacement Honda engine on the internet for ~$200. I also recommend watching FB Marketplace or similar for a used machine.

The HF $99.99 (on Sale) engine works well.

I own a BCS tiller and love iy

https://www.bcsamerica.com
    Vortex! What Vortex?

I bought an old Pony years ago and still runs and works well. Have to add lead substitute to the gas as the engine was designed that way way back when.

When breaking virgin soil with a lot of stone like where I live, it pays to rent a big troybuilt or similar for the first few years. Then go out and get an older pony model. It will fit through the rows better and is a little more nimble.

We have an 8hp Troybilt Horse, with front bumper, that was new in 1979. It hasn't been used in years, never been used to amount to much, needs the leather washers, and maybe a new set of tines. Make offer, and come get it. Has been stored in a closed building, and probably will still start.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    We have an 8hp Troybilt Horse, with front bumper, that was new in 1979. It hasn't been used in years, never been used to amount to much, needs the leather washers, and maybe a new set of tines. Make offer, and come get it. Has been stored in a closed building, and probably will still start.
    For tines, I recommend "Clean Kutter'. I buy their Duro hard faced tines. Been a customer so long, that in early days, would call and order a set, which would come UPS, with a bill the following week via USPS. Now it's we need your CC number. Times sure have changed.

I bought a 8 hp horse Troybilt in 1986 I think all I have done is rebuilt the carb twice and I did replace tines.starts up all the time on 2or 3 pulls.