Thread: Crack in Acrylic sheet / Tempering

Crack in Acrylic sheet / Tempering

Hello,

I hope everbody is well! Today I cutted an acrylic sheet, and a couple hours later it cracked by itself. Does anybody have a clue why this happens? Maybe because it‘s not tempered?

How do you temper a larger sheet?

Thanks for help, Cheers Andrea
    Attached Images Attached Images

Who wants to hear the bells must pull the rope
    Wer die Glocken hören will muss am Seil ziehen

was it cast or extruded .
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    was it cast or extruded .
    It is extruded

either can crack, I'm not sure which is most prone though...

I make plex (cast) headlight covers for a guy back east who sells them, they have a long 'notch' on the sides which involve right-angle (almost ) cuts like your piece. When the first batch sold, he started getting complaints that the plex was cracking at the corners of the notch cuts. What I did to combat it was to radius the corners of the notches, and every other sharp corner.
    This graphic is of one of the notch cuts, right from my Corel job...

The notch cut isn't very deep, the horizontal segment measures just under 3/16" long, so the radius is actually quite small..
    But- he hasn't had a complaint since, and he's asked some customers to check, no cracks
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thx a lot, Kev - that‘s exactly what I thought about this morning. I‘ll try on monday and think about a stress test

Extruded acrylic will crack or craze after being cut, cast usually doesn't. If you aren't sure which you have then you can cut a 1" circle and wipe it with denatured alcohol - if it's extruded it will crack/craze immediately. Any solvent based cleaner will cause this as well.

Maybe there is a difference in the brand, but I also made the experience that there is no difference between cast and extruded.

I agree with Gary's remarks. I avoid extruded whenever possible. I have never had an issue with cast acrylic and my "go to" cleaner for cast is denatured alcohol.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

The brand doesn't matter at all, it's all in the way it's manufactured. Cast is basically poured into a mold where extruded is a big blob that is pressed into shape. They both have very different characteristics when lasered and those characteristics determine which one is appropriate for your particular needs. If you cut extruded it will crack/craze in time, no way around it except to anneal it, and that takes hours in a temperature controlled oven with no guarantees that it will remain in the same shape/size as it started. Solvents simply speed up the crazing, but it will happen eventually anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea Weissenseel View Post
    Maybe there is a difference in the brand, but I also made the experience that there is no difference between cast and extruded.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea Weissenseel View Post
    So cast and extruded are made very differently no matter what brand. And to clarify. We he was talking about cutting. He meant with cutting with a laser. You can glue extruded fine with no crazing if you use a router or CNC It's mainly when you use a laser to cut extruded and then glue, or use denatured alcohol that is will craze.

I fabricate with both materials all the time, and just different process to get a good end result.
    Last edited by Clark Pace; 03-21-2020 at 11:50 PM.
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt