Thread: Delta 46-460

Delta 46-460

I have a Delta 46-460 and was sanding a bowl blank in reverse . When I switched to forward it would not turn on . Has anyone else had that problem? any ideas on how to fix it ?

Have you tried unplugging and re-plugging the machine. I had my lathe do that once and I had to reset it by unplugging. Outside of that, possible a bad switch, dust in the switch, loose or broken wire.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I have experienced that. Normally it happens if the spindle has not come to a complete stop before changing direction. Switch it to the other direction and try it. Then switch direction and try again.

If you Google that, you will have days of reading. There are 2 versions of 46-460. Version I had a switch more on the back of the control box. Amazon even stopped shipping those because such a high percentage of them arrived at the destination with a broken switch. The version II became famous for failed control boards and switches that packed full of sawdust. I think they finally have parts in inventory to sell now, but very pricey. There were years when there were no parts available. When a control board fried, you had a small boat anchor.

Thanks for the replys.I changed switches (25.00) and i'm back making chips.

Bill, Where did you get the replacement switches? Delta? I have an early type 1 46-460. Still going strong, but expect that some day I will be looking for replacements. Might get some to have on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Williams View Post
    Bill, Where did you get the replacement switches? Delta? I have an early type 1 46-460. Still going strong, but expect that some day I will be looking for replacements. Might get some to have on hand.
    I don't have that lathe but do have a suggestion, open up your lathe and see what switch is in it. From what I've seen, most use commercially available switches in their equipment rather than make switches themselves. For example i have a Jet 1642 lathe and if you go to Jet the cost of the switch assembly (you have to buy the whole thing) is $90 which is the on-off button, mount and switch. You can buy the exact same Schneider switch only on Ebay for about $10. Big difference in cost there and it's the same physical switch. I expect you'll find similar results if you check it out. I also like to have replacement parts on hand for the day something fails, long as you can find it when the failure happens.