Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: vertical lumber racks/storage

This is what I have come up with and I am very pleased with the room I have created, well, found anyway. Oh, and due to the proximity of the OH door rail I was unable to incorporate a sheet goods storage area.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jack, that looks nice! Did you angle the back to support the material fully? It's hard to tell from the photo.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yes, Jim, the base is angled back to the wall and the plywood sheets are set at 90* to the base. The wood lays there very nicely. I have to pick up some rubber caps for the 3/4 pipe. The lower one is right at the Grandkids head level and the very first thing my wife picked up on. Grandma! This project has kicked off a shop wide re-org which I really needed to do. Eureka, I found the floor! I've uncovered a lot of material, gear, stuff that is good, but unused in the 5 yrs I've had the shop. It is on its way to the Re-store or the dump. You have to be a bit cold blooded in these things if you are to get anything done, but it still rankles me to throw good stuff out. I'm using some of the plywood off-cuts to make a couple "miscellaneous junk bins" that are set on a small pallet. Anything that does not have an immediate purpose or home goes in the bin. I can then get the pallet forks on the tractor to handle that load.

Very nice design angling the base!

I hear you on the culling thing...I have a big hard time with that, despite my ramping up the start of some decluttering in anticipation of a potential down-size in a few years. I was proud of myself in the shop when I recently moved my shorts bin upstairs and actually threw out a bunch of material. LOL That was HARD with a capital HARD!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

As to that angled base. I had some 24" 2x6's that I ripped to provide a 1.5" lift at the wall. If I made the base angle greater I would have had to carry the wall support structure farther out onto the base forward to get the 90* I wanted. That would limit capacity and I did not want to gt to near the OH door rail. The lumber does lay well on it, but the safety rope is necessary as well. That way I don't worry every time I turn my back on it.

Blog Entries
    Mine is angled about 2 degrees.

Vertical Lumber Storage 007.jpg

At about 5 feet is a stand-off "rail" that the boards rest against. The boards touch the rail (and the wall if they are 12' or more) which also holds the dividers.

Vertical Lumber Storage 002.jpg . Vertical Lumber Storage 004.jpg

The dividers are just pieces of scrap with notches cut in them. My favorite lumber yard uses pretty much the same thing although theirs are made of steel tube.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler