Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on using a Splitter for a 6-30 outlet?

The answer to your question lies with how the circuits are to be used. If you have two 240v machines that need to run at the same time, (saw and DC, for example) then you kinda have to have two 240v circuits. I believe it's permitted to have those two 240v circuits plus the single 120v circuit in that box with how things get calculated, but I could be wrong about that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Wolfy View Post
    So, I talked with the contractor & he said he could rerun my heat pump line and change it from a 30 amp to a 6/3, carrying 90 amps. He would then put in an outdoor subpanel and split it, with a 30 amp breaker and a 60 amp breaker. He would then run conduit the other 40' to my garage ànd put in a panel.

Should I have (2) 30 amp 220s or (1) 30 amp 220, (1) 20 amp 220v & ???
    How about (2) 30A 240V and (2) 20A 240V? Or, whatever is convenient. It's ok if they add up to more than 60A. You just can't use more than 60A at one time.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

So, I talked with the contractor & he said he could rerun my heat pump line and change it from a 30 amp to a 6/3, carrying 90 amps. He would then put in an outdoor subpanel and split it, with a 30 amp breaker and a 60 amp breaker. He would then run conduit the other 40' to my garage ànd put in a panel.

Should I have (2) 30 amp 220s or (1) 30 amp 220, (1) 20 amp 220v & ???
    You can have as many breakers as there is room in the panel for, breakers always add up to way more than the panel is rated for. You don't use all the equipment at one time and the load is never full breaker rating. Example look at the main panel in your house add all the breaker ratings up and then look at your main beaker rating.
    I would have him install at least an eight space panel, twelve would be better.
    Good luck
    Ron

If anyone is under the International Residential Code, it is prohibited to have more then one receptacle over 20A on the same circuit, nothing prohibits it under the NEC, but like a lot of things other codes can apply. Smoke alarms are not required under the NEC, they fall under the building code, as a example.

So, I talked to my electrician. He's running a new outside line to my heat pump, carrying 80 amps. He's putting in two breakers, a 30 amp for the heat pump and a 50 amp for the garage. He's putting in a new panel in the garage with the 50 amps, which will have 24 spaces.

He's then running a 30 amp 220v, (2) 20 amp 220v and a 20 amp 110v lines across the garage for my 5hp bandsaw, 3hp tablesaw, 220v DC & my 110v SuperMax sander.

Thanks for the advise!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Robbinett View Post
    How long is that splitter? I think that it would be five to use it, but if it is not very long then I believe a junction box and some 10/2 with another 30amp receptacle would be fine.

Do any of you guys use shared circuits in your shops? How many machines is reasonable on a 15amp 125v circuit or a 20amp 220v circuit?
    All my machines, both 120 and 240V are on one circuit, with the exception of the dust extractor.

I have quantity 3, 4HP machines and one 2HP machine at 240 volts and a drill press and lathe at 120 volts.

All are fed from a 2 pole 20 ampere breaker, the shop has 4 inch square boxes with a duplex 120V and 240V receptacle in each box. You need to follow local rules on number of devices on one circuit, I have 6 duplex receptacles total.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. Where I live the rules now require GF and AF protection so if new I would have to install a 2P breaker with GF and AF protection.

So, I talked to my electrician. He's running a new outside line to my heat pump, carrying 80 amps. He's putting in two breakers, a 30 amp for the heat pump and a 50 amp for the garage. He's putting in a new panel in the garage with the 50 amps, which will have 24 spaces.

He's then running a 30 amp 220v, (2) 20 amp 220v and a 20 amp 110v lines across the garage for my 5hp bandsaw, 3hp tablesaw, 220v DC & my 110v SuperMax sander.

Thanks for the advise!
    So, the electrician finished yesterday. He had to switch some breakers in my box to use smaller sized breakers, which he called "Peanuts". He's also going to be putting in a Whole house surge protector, when it comes in next week.

He ran a new 6/3 around the house in conduit and put in a new 60 amp breaker on the side of the house. He then put a new panel in the garage with 24 spaces. He ran a 30 amp 220v leg across the garage to where my new bandsaw is parked with a L6-30 receptacle, a 20 amp 120v to the ceiling near my drum sander a 20 amp 220v outlet to the ceiling at my dust collector and another 20amp 220v leg to my ceiling next to my heater. Lots of power and everything can stay plugged in!