Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on using a Splitter for a 6-30 outlet?

Thoughts on using a Splitter for a 6-30 outlet?

When my dad and I ran a sub panel and wire for my saw and planer, we ran a 30amp for the saw and 2 220s for a bandsaw and dust collection. Well.....I picked up a bandsaw that needs a 30amp now. I'm 99% sure the wire for the 20amp not being used is not ok for a 30amp plug but I can check.

If it's not....what about using a 6-30 splitter? It would prevent me from having to unplug the table or bandsaw when I need to switch between them. I'm also the only one that uses my tools and never use more than one at a time. It would be pretty simple to plug one of these into the wall and the table saw and bandsaw into them and be done. Either the linked page or the yellow one that's only $30.

https://www.amazon.com/2ft-L6-30P-L6.../dp/B01LWA3SG5

"Can you"? Sure. It's not the best way to go but with little chance of both machines being turned on at once, you can get away with it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For about the same $ you could just add a second outlet and do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    For about the same $ you could just add a second outlet and do it right.
    Get a junction box, wire in two outlets,and a short cord to 30 amp plug. Wait, that's too simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Get a junction box, wire in two outlets,and a short cord to 30 amp plug. Wait, that's too simple.
    The commercial product he linked to is essentially that without the box...it's just all molded.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The commercial product he linked to is essentially that without the box...it's just all molded.
    If either outlet failed, the whole thing is now trash. By building in junction box, every thing is replacable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    If either outlet failed, the whole thing is now trash. By building in junction box, every thing is replacable.
    I'm not saying the method you mention is invalid, just that it's functionally equivalent of the product the OP asked about and doesn't require him to do any wiring if he's more comfortable with that. And you are correct that a box with multiple outlets is serviceable...always a nice thing.
    --

Blog Entries
    I just went through this same decision (but on a 20 amp 220 receptacle, and for a table saw and jointer) - like the OP, I'm in a one-man shop and can't physically use both tools at once, so sharing the circuit was far easier than running a new line (plus, my panel is getting crowded).

While I decided to add a second receptacle... honestly if I'd found the product like linked in the first post, I would have done that probably. In the past 20 years of home ownership, I've literally never had a power cord, extension cord, splitter, timer, power strip, anything of this nature fail under its intended use... and in some cases, abused items keep ticking and ticking and ticking... so I would think a product of this design used thoughtfully as posted is just as "right" as any other option.

edit: Also, I do agree that being able to service items is a nice benefit. But in the realm of $30 items... replacing a splitter vs. replacing a receptacle is a wash...
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

How long is that splitter? I think that it would be five to use it, but if it is not very long then I believe a junction box and some 10/2 with another 30amp receptacle would be fine.

Do any of you guys use shared circuits in your shops? How many machines is reasonable on a 15amp 125v circuit or a 20amp 220v circuit?

Bobby, "electrically" you can put "a whole bunch" of woodworking machines on the same physical circuit as long as you're only using one of the, at a time. Many folks with modest breaker space will have, say, two 240v circuits; one for the dust collection system and one for the machine-being-used-at-the-moment. Now code can sometimes come into play here relative to whether or not a local jurisdiction will appreciate a multi-outlet setup. I do have things arranged in my shop with a few instances of multiple outlets on a single 240 circuit because that helped with some flexibility over time. Mine are not daisy-chained, however...the outlets wire back to a j-box for that particular circuit.

BTW, I do not recommend 15a 120v circuits in the shop...20amp is a better choice. I believe it's a good idea to have at least two of these circuits with outlets alternating so you have the option of spreading load when using certain tool combinations. This is all independent of lighting, etc., which shouldn't be on the same circuit(s) as your tools.
    --

Jim, I agree with you about having two 20 amp circuits. When I run my SuperMax sander, it invariably blows the 15 amp circuit if there is anything else on that leg, even a light. Two 20 amp circuits are much better, but my house is 1989. I'm in contact with an electrician for an update, as my panel is 95' away and on another floor.

Looking to get a 30 amp 220v for my 5hp bandsaw (delivered yesterday), a 20 amp 220v and a 20 amp 110v.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Wolfy View Post
    Jim, I agree with you about having two 20 amp circuits. When I run my SuperMax sander, it invariably blows the 15 amp circuit if there is anything else on that leg, even a light. Two 20 amp circuits are much better, but my house is 1989. I'm in contact with an electrician for an update, as my panel is 95' away and on another floor.

Looking to get a 30 amp 220v for my 5hp bandsaw (delivered yesterday), a 20 amp 220v and a 20 amp 110v.
    Rod, strongly suggest you explore with the electrician installing at least a 60 amp, 12 circuit sub panel in your shop, both because of the 95' home runs and the amount of loads you will end up wanting now and future.

I didn't and my shop is literally 16 feet from the main house panel to closest edge of the shop.
    For me the advantage would be one point to turn all power off when not there, only 2 spaces used in the main panel instead of a full panel with twin breakers and still not enough circuits to the shop. I have to share 1 220 receptacle for the wide belt sander, table saw, shaper and thickness sander. I do have a 40 circuit panel that I will install someday in the shop and feed with a 90 amp breaker to use as a sub panel and free up space in the main house panel. At which time I will add 3 more 220 circuits and receptacles along with a few more 120 volt circuits and receptacles. I do have a subpanel in the garage and a subpanel outside for A/C and hot tub. I don't use a lot of power at a time, however much prefer separate breakers, home wire runs and receptacles for machines. Right now just need to tear down drywall ceiling to run new conduit for the new wire, find the time and money. Which may happen soon if the Government check for $1200 comes and I am still only working 3-4 hrs 1 day a week.
    Last edited by Ron Selzer; 03-27-2020 at 10:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    Rod, strongly suggest you explore with the electrician installing at least a 60 amp, 12 circuit sub panel in your shop, both because of the 95' home runs and the amount of loads you will end up wanting now and future.
    Good advise...long home runs for individual circuits require just as much labor as pulling one larger cable and having the panel provides more flexibility, for what is probably just a little more cost.
    --

Blog Entries
    Ron nailed it.

So, I talked with the contractor & he said he could rerun my heat pump line and change it from a 30 amp to a 6/3, carrying 90 amps. He would then put in an outdoor subpanel and split it, with a 30 amp breaker and a 60 amp breaker. He would then run conduit the other 40' to my garage ànd put in a panel.

Should I have (2) 30 amp 220s or (1) 30 amp 220, (1) 20 amp 220v & ???