Thread: Survival of corona virus on surfaces

Survival of corona virus on surfaces

Interesting article that came out on Reuters the other day:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2143QP

Edwin S. had asked about how long the virus lasts on surfaces, and this seems to be the best new information. (I went back to try to amend an answer in the earlier thread, but it had been locked.)

Yes, this has been a dynamic thing as "they" learn more and more about the behavior of the virus. It's lasting longer on surfaces and aerisolized from a carrier than they originally though.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The actual article isn't behind a paywall so you can see it without the media filter:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.105...=featured_home

It is surprising than an enveloped virus should be as resistant to drying as this one seems to be.

I heard a report that said the virus can live on paper surfaces for 24 hours. Since we are self quarantining, I will start quarantining our mail in the garage for a couple days. Maybe over kill, maybe not.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

being an avid boater I know that the anti-fouling bottom paint used on boats is loaded with copper, because:
    ...Copper is a naturally occurring element, but at high enough concentrations, it interferes with cell metabolism making it challenging for life to grow on your boat’s hull.
    The NIAID seems to have discovered that copper also makes it challenging for 'the virus' to remain alive...

Before my 40-ish year old kids were born, we were sharing an apartment with some friends, Tom was a bonafide Indian... we had a small mutt puppy who got distemper, and daily his symptoms expectedly got worse. He got to the point where he could barely walk. Tom pulled out a penny, and forced 'Bone' to swallow it. "Old Indian remedy--" he explained. Bone perked up substantially by the next day, and it was about 3 days before his 'drunken' symptoms returned. He was too far gone for a second penny to help, but I've never forgotten that episode in my life--

I do know copper is coursing thru our veins, so I have to wonder...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle