Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disappointing SuperNova2 purchase!!

Disappointing SuperNova2 purchase!!

I planned to do a comparison of my Vicmarc VM120, Oneway Stronghold, Axminster Evolution and SuperNova2 chucks but after just receiving the later I have to point out in advance how disappointed I am with it. What I immediately noticed was the fit and finish wasn't like any of the others. It has rough unfinished edges and the runout was easy to spot visually. Then I noticed it was marked "Made in PRC (China)". They go to great lengths marking elsewhere designed in New Zealand and USA. I waited a long time to get a SuperNova2 with a M33 direct thread but eventually found one across the pond at considerable expense in shipping. I usually don't return items but this will probably be one exception.

PS I had a SuperNova2 previously that was purchased second hand but it required an insert. I recall it being of much better quality.

I wonder if you got a knock-off. I've bought a bunch from toolsplus (see link below) and have been extremely happy with them. I like all of my Nova chucks way better than the Oneway that I bought when I first started turning.
    https://www.tools-plus.com/nova-lathes-23099.html

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post
    I wonder if you got a knock-off. I've bought a bunch from toolsplus (see link below) and have been extremely happy with them. I like all of my Nova chucks way better than the Oneway that I bought when I first started turning.

Tom
    Never thought about it being counterfeit. It does have a hologram though.

The chuck I typically reach for is the Oneway. I originally questioned the open back design but it has never been an issue for me. The runout is practically nonexistent despite requiring an adapter and has been a solid performer.

I also have bought several and they are fantastic, sounds like it might be a knockoff. I've been seeing some knockoffs at suspiciously $47 low prices lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wagner View Post
    I also have bought several and they are fantastic, sounds like it might be a knockoff. I've been seeing some knockoffs at suspiciously $47 low prices lately.
    I paid almost $200 for the SuperNova2 not including some very expensive shipping from the UK so it's not in the knockoff price range. I contacted the seller and manufacturer and look forward to hearing back from them.

A friend receintly received a couple of Nova jaw sets that looked like they had been deburred with a coarse wire wheel. The scratched and abraded edges were noticeable from 6 feet away.

Either you got cheated or Teknatool has been taken over by rogues.

I have a bunch of SN2 chucks bought over widely spaced times and from various retailers and they all look similarly well-made. All of mine require inserts which is one thing I like about them.

JKJ

I have one insert type SN2 and 4 direct threads and all are great (I bought the 4 direct threaded chucks from the site I posted above on 4 separate occasions).
    tom

Yeah, well. You get what you pay for. I only own Nova chucks. I understand that yes they do NOT compare to Oneway and Vicmarc chucks. BUT I PERSONALLY do not think that they should be compared. It's like saying I own a Lexus and I bought a Yugo and it sucks. Yeah, well it should. I have used Oneways and Vicmarcs and yes they are far superior. But again, buy a Yugo, get a Yugo. If you pay for a YUGO and expect a Lexus, well, you will be disappointed.

Too bad about this and I would contact Teknatool and find out what they think.

Whom did you purchase it from? Why was it shipped from the UK. I thought Teknatool was in New Zealand.
    RP

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post

Tom
    Tom,

Will the Nova chuck wrench fit the direct threaded version of the SN2? The wrench will fit all the inserts. It will not fit the direct threaded Nova Titan chuck.

JKJ

Curiosity got the better of me this morning so I used a dial indicator to determine the actual runout of all 4 chucks mentioned earlier along with a measurement on the lathe spindle itself. Below are my results.

Oneway lathe spindle - less than .0005" (so small that I had to use a .0005" test indicator)
    Oneway Stronghold - .0015"
    Vicmarc VM120 - .001
    SuperNova2 - .012"
    Axminster Evolution - less than .0005" (again had to use the .0001" test indicator)

I used a Starrett .001" dial indicator and an Interapid .0005" test indicator.

I realize a wood lathe doesn't require the accuracy of a metal lathe, especially if the wood remains chucked for the entire turning operation but the extreme runout on the SuperNova2 at least demonstrates sloppy machining. I didn't have the stomach to chuck a precision ground test bar to the SuperNova2 to see what the runout would be at the working end. Back it goes.

I have several Teknatool chucks including three SN2s. The only issue I've had was when I didn't realize there was something fouling the threads between the insert and the chuck.

Even so, anyone can have something slip through QC. Have you contacted customer support and given them a chance to address your issue? I thought I had a problem with a lathe control panel a while back and they were fantastic! BTW - Turned out to be user error.

Give them a chance to make this right:

USA: 1-866-748-3025

New Zealand +649-477-5600
    Our normal business hours are M-F 9-5pm Eastern Time USA
    RD

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dooling View Post
    I have several Teknatool chucks including three SN2s. The only issue I've had was when I didn't realize there was something fouling the threads between the insert and the chuck.

Even so, anyone can have something slip through QC. Have you contacted customer support and given them a chance to address your issue? I thought I had a problem with a lathe control panel a while back and they were fantastic! BTW - Turned out to be user error.

Give them a chance to make this right:

USA: 1-866-748-3025

New Zealand +649-477-5600
    Our normal business hours are M-F 9-5pm Eastern Time USA
    The manufacturer (USA site) said basically sorry but we ain't doing anything about it. Contact the dealer. The dealer said no problem, send it back. Unfortunately the dealer is in the UK and the cost for shipping it back is probably not worth the trouble. I purchased it from there because it was the only place I could find that carried a direct threaded chuck. I won't pass the problem along to someone else so it may find another use, perhaps a rotary holding device for welding. Weld splatter will only improve its appearance. LOL