Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Corona virus: cured?

I am not overly confident the US would have acted any differently to China had Covid -19 started in their own country.

From an article published by Slate this afternoon:

One person who has expressed a more skeptical view of chloroquine is task force member and immunologist Anthony Fauci, the veteran face of the country’s response to disease outbreaks. But Fauci has not appeared at a press conference since Tuesday, when Trump said he had “become a major television star.”
    Fauci for the past two days had been saying that chloroquine is not a miracle cure and that we still need to determine its safety.

Speaking to Laura Ingraham on Fox News on Tuesday, Fauci said, “We have to be careful, Laura, that we don’t assume something works based on an anecdotal report that’s not controlled. And I refer specifically to hydroxychloroquine. There’s a lot of buzz out there on the internet on the social media about that.”

On Wednesday, he reiterated this message in an interview with CNN’s Chris Cuomo, saying he supported large-scale clinical trials but was against “just throwing the drug out there, which is not a good idea.”
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-19-2020 at 9:06 PM. Reason: Defaulted font so it was readable on a large screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    We're still in the midst of the crisis. There's a better direction for our energy than looking for a villain to blame.
    The villain-blaming is IMO only an unfortunate result of certain parties refusing to take responsibility for their own actions (rooted as it may be in negligence, pride or short-sightedness.)

I agree, let us remember the afflicted Italians.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Aubuchon View Post
    From an article published by Slate this afternoon:

One person who has expressed a more skeptical view of chloroquine is task force member and immunologist Anthony Fauci, the veteran face of the country’s response to disease outbreaks. But Fauci has not appeared at a press conference since Tuesday, when Trump said he had “become a major television star.”
    Fauci for the past two days had been saying that chloroquine is not a miracle cure and that we still need to determine its safety.

70 years after it first came on the market. Hmm.

The biggest danger that I can see if the virus mutated to thwart its effectiveness, which is why it might only make sense to use it against the "hard cases".

The real horror might start if people started using it indiscriminately on farm animals? Are the anti-malarial drugs still effective on people? In the meantime, there is hope...
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-19-2020 at 9:07 PM. Reason: Defaulted font so it's readable on a large screen

There are several "Old Drugs" being used for new treatments. Metforman for breast cancer, Tavist for MS just name a couple. I don't trust the numbers coming out of China now, or then. Because they are basically a closed society, we don't hear about Iran.

I see Fauci's statement as just sticking to the standard schtick. The doc's as a group have to , anyone straying from
    it will get bad press coverage from the group leaders and lobbyists. I believe many of them will try it if they catch the
    stuff. But being discreet is a must.

I see this 'cure' as not much more than certain people grasping at straws hoping to get lucky enough to find something already available that just might actually work, quickly enough to boost or save their images, and maybe even some lives. But 5 minutes of googling how antivirals and Malaria meds work has me shaking my head on this one. While there's lots of complexities involved I'll never know and understand, hopefully they WILL get lucky with this Malaria stuff... But it just seems a little too much like trying to find out if you can kill locusts with d-CON... I'm hoping, but not holding my breath.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I see this 'cure' as not much more than certain people grasping at straws hoping to get lucky enough to find something already available that just might actually work, quickly enough to boost or save their images, and maybe even some lives. But 5 minutes of googling how antivirals and Malaria meds work has me shaking my head on this one. While there's lots of complexities involved I'll never know and understand, hopefully they WILL get lucky with this Malaria stuff... But it just seems a little too much like trying to find out if you can kill locusts with d-CON... I'm hoping, but not holding my breath.
    Google "H. pylori Barry Marshall" in the context of ulcers for an interesting story about how a simpler answer to what was earlier thought to be a complex problem, was resolved, and how it was scoffed at for a while, resulting in much prolonged suffering, until it eventually resulted in a Nobel Prize. Not that this is directly relevant here, but it's a great story. There was a terrific New Yorker (?) article about it twenty-some years ago.

All hands on deck, and NOW, etc.
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 03-20-2020 at 12:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Google "H. pylori Barry Marshall" in the context of ulcers for an interesting story about how a simpler answer to what was earlier thought to be a complex problem, was resolved, and how it was scoffed at for a while, resulting in much prolonged suffering, until it eventually resulted in a Nobel Prize. Not that this is directly relevant here, but it's a great story..
    I was thinking of that one too Doug. It IS a good story.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    In Dickinson, Galveston County, Texas we are told to shelter in place.
    I am not going anywhere. I did put the trash out this morning.
    It will be interesting to see if the garbage truck comes today.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    It will be interesting to see if the garbage truck comes today.
    Sure hope so. Else soon there will be worse "bugs" than covid-19 to worry about....
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Today was our garbage day and the trucks came by on schedule.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I was thinking of that one too Doug. It IS a good story.
    There was a news report today that supplies of the associated drugs are running short at area pharmacies, with the explicit implication that doctors are "hoarding" them to handle issues with their own staff, etc.

Naay .....No such thing as "explicit implication". There's some good news !

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    There was a news report today that supplies of the associated drugs are running short at area pharmacies, with the explicit implication that doctors are "hoarding" them to handle issues with their own staff, etc.
    Most insurance companies are allowing and encouraging members to get a 90 day supply rather than 30 day supply. This automatically triples the demand