Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In the market for a new lathe

I think that bang for the buck the Rikon 70-220VS is the lathe to really check out. I bought one back in October after having a Nova Comet II and had a Comet 14 for a week before returning it due to issues. I can say that the Rikon is a solid lathe with the 1" tool rest, 3-1/2" quill travel, little longer bed, and good VS control. The 24 point index on head another good feature. I enjoy turning on it along with my Powermatic 3520B. It is a little heavy to carry to a class but then the weight is also a plus factor. I think there is a sale going on for Rikon now also. I will admit that there was an electrical issue when new that Rikon service sent parts immediately. The lathe was a floor display model at Woodcraft and I thought I would not have to unpack and clean. Right there, but the tachometer did not display.

I was at one time considering a midi. I really liked the Grizzly G0844 because it has 14" of swing. Looks like a decent lathe for around $600 and has enough length to make tool handles and most small spindles. They must be a popular seller as they seem to always be out of stock (but in stock today)..

I have the Turncrafter Commander 12”. I’m very happy with it.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

I would think twice about a Grizzly ,I had problems getting damaged items fixed on several orders.When I got insistent for satisfaction,they banned me from ever contacting them including for warranty on a 6 month old lathe ,that was damaged in shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jain View Post
    I would think twice about a Grizzly ,I had problems getting damaged items fixed on several orders.When I got insistent for satisfaction,they banned me from ever contacting them including for warranty on a 6 month old lathe ,that was damaged in shipping.
    Grizzly sells hundreds of lathes. Probably more (by far) than any other single maker. Cases like yours are few and far between. Most get excellent service when/if they need it. There are anecdotal failures in just about every brand. One has to look at the percentage of bad outcomes. Given the numbers sold and the few complaints, no one can justify that Grizzly is a bad choice based on quality/support.

Point taken,but being treated that badly by customer service leaves a bad taste in ones mouth. I was even threatened I would be "prosecuted to the full extent of the law". That seemed extreme to me.I will not show the letter here,but if anyone is interested I would email it to you.

Buy a old American made three phase lathe and use a vfd for variable speed. Any lathe that was factory three phase is better then most stuff made today.
    Bil lD

So...I had all but decided on the Rikon lathe mentioned above. However, I am closing on a new house on Friday, so I didn't want to order it then and ship it to current address only to move to new address. That said, and I knew it would, the Rikon went off sale yesterday. So, now that the Rikon is off sale and the Laguna is on sale for only $20 more than the Rikon regular price, would you still recommend the Rikon lathe? Or, would you now consider the Laguna 1216?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Smira View Post
    ... the Rikon went off sale yesterday. ...
    Rikon has been going on sale every couple months recently. I'd get the move handled and then evaluate the trade offs, with luck the Rikon will be on sale then.