Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Close the beaches

I'll be heading to the beach on Lake Ontario this summer, as long as it's not flooded again. The part where I go tends to be pretty quiet, with 100 yards or more between individuals or groups, and I always go alone. It's also only accessible by canoe or boat, so people don't have to walk past each other to get to their spot. I think the problem right now is fundamentally with crowding, and the beaches are just where it happens to be happening, but I may be wrong.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I suspect that for Florida, spring break is big business and there was a lot of pressure to keep it open.

The fallacy of keeping the beaches open is that the kids have to stay somewhere and they are almost certain to party in congested places. You may have a lesser chance of transmission at the beach, but that's only part of the day.

Mike
    A company that makes high tech thermometers, Kinsa, has a tracking app showing above normal temp rises in users. Florida looks to be way above normal > https://bocanewsnow.com/2020/03/20/c...-beach-county/

Their maps have been showing 'hot spots' ahead of CDC testing.

The deadliest factor in this outbreak may turn out to be the deluge of misinformation coming from what all too many have believed to be trusted sources.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The bonus of closing the beaches is that the ding-a-lings who dont listen to, and follow the rules, and choose to fluff off their parents college fund savings for them or their own future perril with student loans, will concentrate themselves in hotel and motel rooms to get their party on and likely concentrate contamination to their own foolish circle.

I highly doubt it will happen, and it would be sad to see a generation of outside the box and look around the corner thinkers go down but at least they would contain it to their own foolish keg stand, funnel beer, girls gone wild, lunacy.

I say lock the beaches down and concentrate them in the hotels and they are allowed to take charge of their own future.

I dont in any way prescribe to the notion that part of you "college experience" should be inverting yourself over a keg of beer, shoving a piece of plastic tubing down your throat while someone pours a beer in a funnel, or a bunch of girls flashing themselves and being taken advantage of in a drunken disaster they will regret for the rest of their lives. Whether its at the beach, or a fraternity, sorority, whatever. You are there spending either your own or someone elses precious dollars and you should take advantage of the opportunity to bleed the place dry of knowledge not paper towels to clean up the puke of the floor (which they likely dont do).

Full agreement with one of the press conferences that it would be very sad to see a generation of creative thinkers compromised but if thats the route they choose, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    The bonus of closing the beaches is that the ding-a-lings who dont listen to, and follow the rules, and choose to fluff off their parents college fund savings for them or their own future perril with student loans, will concentrate themselves in hotel and motel rooms to get their party on and likely concentrate contamination to their own foolish circle.

I highly doubt it will happen, and it would be sad to see a generation of outside the box and look around the corner thinkers go down but at least they would contain it to their own foolish keg stand, funnel beer, girls gone wild, lunacy.

I say lock the beaches down and concentrate them in the hotels and they are allowed to take charge of their own future.
    I think the public health concern is what might happen in terms of spread when spring breakers like your describe go back home to their communities all over the country. It seems to now be apparent that even an asymptomatic younger person is an effective spreader of the virus, if even unknowingly.

Edwin, that's pretty correct. There are asymptomatic people and also those who might be exposed while on spring break and not show any signs until a week or more later after they are back home. My younger daughter and I talked about this earlier in the context of spending time with her boyfriend, which is a pretty serious relationship at this point, and rather than heading out to do the normal fun stuff they would likely do, it's now all walks/hikes in deserted parks and "Netflix and Chill" without being around other people. They are pretty smart folks and know the score, especially since Profesor Dr. SWMBO could be more susceptible to issues from this virus for reasons I'll not state. A number of college students I know unfortunately haven't been quite as wise and it's troubling.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A week ago, the local woodworking club had it's monthly meeting. In the 9 days prior to that meeting, my wife and I traveled through the following airports in this sequence, Phoenix, LAX, Long Beach, Phoenix, Phoenix, Fresno, Fresno, SLC, Lewiston, ID. Worrying more about maybe having become an asymptomatic carrier, I didn't attend that meeting in an effort to not spread the disease, just in case.

In the 34 years I worked in hospital radiology department I know of 2 cases where coworkers developed hepatitis C from being accidentally stuck by used needles carelessly lost by technologists either under the patient pallets or into the gantry of CT scanners or failing to glove up when incurring body liquids left on CT or MR scanners. I place some of my lack of disease to being careful. Once stuck by a needle used on an infected patient it's too late to look for used needles. Once contacting with unprotected hands body liquids from infected patients, it's too late to glove up.

I didn't panic buy TP or other essentials, I am not over reacting to the news. I want to be informed, be careful and yet, I don't want to be stupid either.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    I think the public health concern is what might happen in terms of spread when spring breakers like your describe go back home to their communities all over the country. It seems to now be apparent that even an asymptomatic younger person is an effective spreader of the virus, if even unknowingly.
    I dont even know why that would "seem to now be apparent". The common cold, flu, and many others are spread at numerous levels. Some have symptoms, some minimal, some none. As stated in the daily briefs a lot of conclusions can be found based on the past but the unknowns are the unknowns.

My gut feeling is this thing is going to blow over and we will have made a smart but gross over-reaction and some percentage will curse the over-reaction for their eternity and others will take comfort in the fact that even though it was painful it was smart.

Ive been the card carrying member of the invincible crowd for a lot more years than my teens but pretty much none of that has been at the cost/jeopardy to others.

Im sure some spring breakers are being safe and smart.

Gonna get worse before better. Here in PA we have some of the stupidest new rules imaginable. Paper pulp mills may stay open because paper is used in medical supplies, BUT loggers may not cut trees or transport them to the pulp mill. (Our governor thinks paper comes from either Staples or thin air) Also, saw mills must remain closed, so there are no rough cut boards to make the skids to transport the paper meant for medical supplies. Food store may remain open, but not Specialty food stores like Health food stores (ironic huh?) or candy stores (but wait a minute) Candy factories like Hershey, Reeses and Mars employing thousands of people in a single building may stay open. Oh yeas and about those medical supplies so desperately needed They closed all the highway rest areas, so truckers have no place to pull over and rest or use the crapper. So medical supplies are delayed. And last, commercial laundries must close under threat of fines etc. So those hospitals and nursing homes that do not have in house laundries can't even get clean sheets or gowns. Yep there's some winners in government. Oh and the way our Governor phrased it, only life sustaining businesses may remain open. I am still trying to figure out what life sustaining importance or medical significance is held by a gummy worm. Perhaps it was the big campaign contribution by the Confectionery workers union?

As for the beaches, I have mixed feelings. Are they really risking any more than had they stayed home and attended parties at each other's houses and infecting each other's families? As far as spreading the disease or getting it, the most dangerous place in this state is now the supermarket.
    Last edited by Perry Hilbert Jr; 03-20-2020 at 3:13 PM.

I wander if maternity wards will be crowded in 9 months?
    As far as these spring breakers, they're pretty selfish. Even if they dont get sick they could carry it to others. They're no better than the chinese government

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    I wander if maternity wards will be crowded in 9 months?
    My guess is you may see a tiny bump but the younger generations are not spawning. You may likely see a spike in divorce/broken relationships due to mutual confinement and forced interaction. If the widespread notion that the load on data comes into play where two people supposedly in a "relationship" cant sit across the dinner table from each other without each staring at their phones like the do at the restaurant you may really see all hell break loose.

Blog Entries
    The easiest way to close the beaches would be to quarantine all the partiers for a few weeks.

In Italy one town stopped the spread > https://www.livescience.com/small-it...s-testing.html

This mass testing revealed that about 3% of residents were infected with the virus, and of these, about half did not show any symptoms, according to ProMarket, the blog of the Stigler Center at the University of Chicago Booth School of Business. After two weeks of a strict lockdown and quarantine of cases, only 0.25% of residents were infected. The town isolated these last few cases and has since reopened.
    Identifying and isolating those who test positive for Covid-19 whether or not they are showing symptoms so far appears to be the most effective way of halting the spread.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    You may likely see a spike in divorce/broken relationships due to mutual confinement and forced interaction.
    Hopefully not a spike of full-blown domestic violence.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    A company that makes high tech thermometers, Kinsa, has a tracking app showing above normal temp rises in users. Florida looks to be way above normal > https://bocanewsnow.com/2020/03/20/c...-beach-county/

Their maps have been showing 'hot spots' ahead of CDC testing.

The deadliest factor in this outbreak may turn out to be the deluge of misinformation coming from what all too many have believed to be trusted sources.
    I saw that too. I thought sunlight was supposed to be a really good disinfectant, UV radiation and all that. Our old washing machine had a UV light in it, shining down on the clothes, sanctifying them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Identifying and isolating those who test positive for Covid-19 whether or not they are showing symptoms so far appears to be the most effective way of halting the spread.

jtk
    I am staying just off Anna Maria Island south of Tampa. The large Manatee County beaches are now closed and the associated parking gates are shut. Not a big college destination but local schools were on spring break and flooded the beaches with families and high schoolers. A real shame for those families on vacation and can't use the beaches that are only a block away. Of course that is the least of our problems.

With no mass testing there is no way to identify those that are carrying it but asymptomatic. Those that want to get tested can't unless they meet certain criteria. And now whether or not you traveled out of the country is a moot point.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 03-20-2020 at 11:59 PM.
    NOW you tell me...

I live in a beach town in southern Maine. It has been crazy with out of state people heading north to an area of less people.

With good weather forecast for this weekend the parking lots will be full and the beach will look like Woodstock.

I expect that the town will close all of the parking lots on Monday.