Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Close the beaches

Close the beaches

First, let's be civil in this thread. Since there are those that insist on not letting their spring break be interrupted, maybe laid off service industry workers could be "deputized" in a limited but official manner to give beach goers tickets. The fact that there are still beaches open and parties going on makes me question some local governments sincerity on doing their part to combat this virus. Money generated from tickets could be used to help unemployed workers.

I was shocked to see so many people there and the "I don't care if I get"-type comments. I'll be the last guy to want too much government in anything but do these local officials not get the seriousness of this situation? It's not politics, it's public safety.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I have people here at work who still think it's overblown.

I am shocked time and time again that people usually believe what they believe and facts have little impact on that.

I won't get political about that.

I do think people are over reacting but would i go to beach now... no.

There just seems to be no consistency with policies from state to state. We cant have groups larger than 10 people around here and personally I think its a great policy. Now I turn on the tv and see a mob of kids on the beach! It blows my mind that all these young people care more about a week of vacation than public safety. They will all have a great time and then return to their homes all across the country. And we wonder how it spreads so quickly.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

What's particularly concerning now is that with actual statistics coming out, younger folks are indeed vulnerable to this virus and a healthy percentage of folks needing the ICU are younger than original speculation may have indicated. So yea...all the spring-breakers on the beach is very much concerning.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In my youth, I recall that when there was a polio outbreak, the health authorities closed the swimming pools. We weren't near a beach. What did officials in beach towns do?

I'm getting a chuckle from the comments on this thread: a discussion of beaches by people in places where going to the beach in the middle of March is improbable to say the least.

Yeah, I get the concern, but I kind of doubt the people going to the beaches are likely to embrace (no pun intended) the concept of "social distancing" no matter where they are.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    In my youth, I recall that when there was a polio outbreak, the health authorities closed the swimming pools. We weren't near a beach. What did officials in beach towns do?
    I don't believe that the oceans and beaches were a consideration during the polio "outbreak".

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    I'm getting a chuckle from the comments on this thread: a discussion of beaches by people in places where going to the beach in the middle of March is improbable to say the least.

Yeah, I get the concern, but I kind of doubt the people going to the beaches are likely to embrace (no pun intended) the concept of "social distancing" no matter where they are.
    I get your point, but public gathering places are being closed all over. Warm areas with beaches that attract crowds should be as well. The kids on the beaches in Florida, California, and Lake Havasu will be coming home to Ohio and Michigan and Nebraska, etc. , so maybe it's time for states or cities to mandate beach closings. Or maybe the locales could quarantine them for a couple of weeks if they want to continue to let the party go on.

Upon further internet browsing, several articles about the history of polio mention closing beaches. For example, https://www.npr.org/sections/npr-his...alyzed-america

The public was horribly and understandably frightened by polio," says Oshinsky, who grew up in Queens, N.Y. "There was no prevention and no cure. Everyone was at risk, especially children. There was nothing a parent could do to protect the family. I grew up in this era. Each summer, polio would come like The Plague. Beaches and pools would close — because of the fear that the poliovirus was waterborne. Children had to say away from crowds, so they often were banned from movie theaters, bowling alleys, and the like. My mother gave us all a 'polio test' each day: Could we touch our toes and put our chins to our chest?

I suspect that for Florida, spring break is big business and there was a lot of pressure to keep it open.

The fallacy of keeping the beaches open is that the kids have to stay somewhere and they are almost certain to party in congested places. You may have a lesser chance of transmission at the beach, but that's only part of the day.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Here in Ga. we have had 3 deaths contributed to the virus. One in Atlanta area, and two in the Albany area. All three individuals that died were attending a funeral in town. So far they have tested and confirmed 23 positives and more to come as test results come in from those tested. These young people better take heed. The virus may or may not make them overly sick, but they can carry it to someone who's immune system cannot handle it and it will kill them. It could be their parents or grandparents who succumb to it. Be careful out there. This is more serious than anyone imagined.
    Another issue is while many schools have shut down around here, the kids aren't listening and staying home where they belong. Their running the streets.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I read an article this morning that the Illinois Funeral Directors Association and Medical Examiners were recommending canceling funerals, wakes and visitations that would draw more than 10 people. At the IFDA's website, here is a copy of their statement.

"The IFDA Board of Directors recommends following the CDC guidelines on gatherings, and this includes those directly related to any funerals, visitations, or graveside services.

All gatherings of ten (10) or more should be canceled, and/or only conducted with a limit of ten (10) or less people. Viewings should only be permissive with ten (10) or less people. Graveside services should be private and conducted with ten (10) or less people. This information is subject to change per recommendations by the Federal Government and CDC.

These implemented directives are to comply with current recommendations by the Federal Government and the CDC. Indeed, our compliance with these directives is to keep your families safe, as well as the staff at the respective funeral homes.
    "
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken, the family in NJ that just suffered three losses from something like 7 people sick apparently contracted it at a funeral. The advice is sound, IMHO. Folks will have to adapt to the new reality for awhile, unfortunately, and that includes end of life celebrations. Group celebrations can be delayed or folks can get creative via technology if need be.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...