Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Close the beaches

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    I saw that too. I thought sunlight was supposed to be a really good disinfectant, UV radiation and all that. Our old washing machine had a UV light in it, shining down on the clothes, sanctifying them.
    You mean "sanitizing" them? Or were you washing with holy water? (Sorry, I couldn't resist... )
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I thought sunlight was supposed to be a really good disinfectant, UV radiation and all that. Our old washing machine had a UV light in it, shining down on the clothes, sanctifying them.
    This was just covered on Science friday last week. Sunlight is not a reliable disinfectant I think the line was perhaps unless you were in Arizona or Death Valley or something lol. 130 degrees (clothes dryer) was mentioned as an acceptable heat disinfectant.

I bet dating today is very different then in my youth. Hard to maintain a six foot distance from the one you love, or hope to love someday.
    Want to come up to my place and see my toilet paper?
    If you kiss me I will even let you use some of my toilet paper.
    Why no, I have not been tested for STD's but I am tested safe for corona, how about you?
    Bil lD.

Bill, I agree that it's a challenge...something my younger is dealing with, but at least she and her pretty serious boyfriend are staying out of public places and away from people...hiking and 'hanging, as it were. I really will feel bad for them both should someone in either household get the virus and force physical isolation.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Here where I live in Alberta this is getting real. 200+ cases tested positive as of yesterday and two deaths so far. Everyone freaked out and toilet paper remains a very hot commodity. Theaters,bars public pools,gyms,and lots of restaurants closed. Others are drive through or take-out only. Self-isolation and social distancing are all you hear over and over. It is a real threat and I can not believe that people are not taking precautions ,even if just to minimize exposure to others who may be more vunerable than yourself. Hope all here stay safe . Our economy is taking a massive hit and that may well be the most devastating long term effect of Coronavirus here. The hardest part for me is NHL hockey being shut down right at the end of season playoff drive. Going to be stocking up on material in my shop in case of extended mandated self isolation. If you check the spread of this virus from a global perspective and the speed that it multiplies at elsewhere we are at the beginning of about 2 months or so of tough times. Be prepared and stay calm is my plan.

Blog Entries
    I saw that too. I thought sunlight was supposed to be a really good disinfectant, UV radiation and all that. Our old washing machine had a UV light in it, shining down on the clothes, sanctifying them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    This was just covered on Science friday last week. Sunlight is not a reliable disinfectant I think the line was perhaps unless you were in Arizona or Death Valley or something lol. 130 degrees (clothes dryer) was mentioned as an acceptable heat disinfectant.
    It was your old washing machine that had the UV light in it. In my younger days we used take apart old appliances and would enjoy playing with these lights and circuits in dryers that produced UV or ozone as disinfectants.

For some reason they are not as common in today's machines.

UV light's effectiveness at killing germs does depend on the intensity of the light and the duration of time. If blocked by obstacles, it may be ineffective.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    UV light's effectiveness at killing germs does depend on the intensity of the light and the duration of time. If blocked by obstacles, it may be ineffective.
    That's why you should sunbathe naked, if possible.

I am aware of no study that investigates how long the virus lasts on surfaces put out in the sun. That would be quite interesting.
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 03-21-2020 at 6:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    You mean "sanitizing" them? Or were you washing with holy water? (Sorry, I couldn't resist... )
    My spill checker was exercising poetic license. BTW, all fresh water is holy. (You'll see in time...)