Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CV-19 Carry a Zip Loc Bag With You

CV-19 Carry a Zip Loc Bag With You

Most stores that have shopping carts have a tube of sanitizing wipes located near the door, to wipe down cart handles. Take a zip loc bag with you, and place used wipe in it. Upon finishing shopping, and returning cart, before entering car, remove wipe and again clean your hands. Wiping down the handles before using cart, rather than after, is like wiping back side before toileting.

The Menards store near me doesn't normally have wipes for carts. They had them for a few days, but nothing last night. They were just using consumer sized containers of wipes. I wouldn't be surprised if someone took the container that wasn't locked down, but maybe they just don't have any more.

"...is like wiping back side before toileting."

Now you tell me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Wiping down the handles before using cart, rather than after, is like wiping back side before toileting.
    Not exactly...If the cart is contaminated and you touch it your hands are contaminated. Anything else you touch in the store, including your own body will also get contaminated. I would suggest a better option would be wiping the cart and your hands down both before and after shopping.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

We're due for a Target run soon. Thinking I may soak a microfiber towel in quaternary ammonium (virucide) and bring with me. The ziploc bag is a good idea. Maybe bring the soaked towel in the ziploc bag and just discard the whole deal once out of the store. Keep the tips coming.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    We're due for a Target run soon. Thinking I may soak a microfiber towel in quaternary ammonium (virucide) and bring with me. The ziploc bag is a good idea. Maybe bring the soaked towel in the ziploc bag and just discard the whole deal once out of the store. Keep the tips coming.

Erik
    The liquor store has plenty of 180 proof (90%) alcohol. You don't even need to buy "the good stuff." Yes you should wipe cart before and after, but it you don't wipe after use, its pointless as you have handled everything in the store. Think about the cashiers handling the money.
    "

I don't know if they have any left, but I purchase denatured alcohol at Home Depot. Probably cheaper than drinking grade alcohol.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Our Costco is doing great job. Signs to stay 6 feet apart ,a crew of cart cleaners working in sight of customer "inspectors",
    just a couple of customers in a line and they open another register. COSTCO: keeping our nation SAFE !

Denatured alcohol shouldn’t be used for hand sanitizing.

I am getting pumped up to leave the house tomorrow for the first time in a week and go to the grocery store. I’m planning to wipe the cart first thing and bring a small bottle of hand sanitizer to clean my hands after I put the cart away. If they don’t have wipes I’ll use the hand sanitizer on the cart handle.

I’ll also sanitize the little handheld scanner thing we have at Payless/Kroger. Those are great for this pandemic by the way: bag the groceries yourself and no line to wait in.

Good tip Bruce, thanks. We have a sign on our door reminding all family members to wash hands as soon as you come in. Soon we'll have an alcohol spray bottle outside the door as well.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    Good tip Bruce, thanks. We have a sign on our door reminding all family members to wash hands as soon as you come in. Soon we'll have an alcohol spray bottle outside the door as well.
    Earlier this week we were out at grocery store, and I thought, why use two, when one will do. Plus if you go somewhere which doesn't have hand wipes, you have one in your baggie. Good as long as the alcohol doesn't evaporate.

I was reading the other day where any alky used for sanitizing must be between 60 and 80% strength to work- below 60%, effectiveness drops rapidly, and above 80%, the alky-to-water ratio is too high for the necessary chemical reactions to occur...

Me and my better half have been notorious over-buyers for years. We had cupboards and garage shelves stocked with canned goods, 2 fully stocked fridges and their freezers, a stuffed 17 cu.ft upright freezer, over 100 rolls of TP, 2 half-gallons of hand sanitizer plus a standing Purell dispenser in this place before we ever heard of covid-19. Last weekend I put our old 19 cu.ft freezer back in service, and it's nearly full now. We hardly go anywhere because of the hours we work, so this self-quarantine thing is a no-brainer for us. I've been out of the house lots more the past two weeks just searching out supplies than normal...

so as to shopping, I put on a pair of nitrile gloves and put a small bottle of sanitizer in my inside jacket pocket. When I get to the store I squirt a dab on the gloves and rub it all around, and wipe my face and nose. I go to the produce aisle first and grab a couple of veggie bags, which I use to grab food, or 'test' food (bread, etc). Soon as I'm done checking out I throw the bags, sanitize the gloves and face again, and head for home. Gloves are used to put the food away, then discarded, THEN we use sanitizers on our actual hands. Since we have customers coming to the door, our hands get sanitized a lot so the gloves help. The customers appreciate the sanitizer too...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Yea I follow Kev's routine I have box of black nitrate gloves put a pair on when I get to the store, small spray bottle of germ x in my pocket, leave store throw gloves away. when I get home I spray my veggies with Hydrogen peroxide and rinse good .
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I am baching it as the wife is in California baby setting our 3 youngest grandkids whose schools closed earlier this week. I need to go grocery shopping. I plan on taking a Ziploc bag with a Clorox wipe in it. I will wipe down the cart handle before and after I use the cart. I don't know if the person before me wiped the handle down after using it. The latest I saw said that on some materials the virus could last 72 hours.

When I get home I will wash my hands thoroughly.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Kev, your new avatar photo is hilarious.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep