Thread: Sensitive drilling attachment for tailstock

Sensitive drilling attachment for tailstock

Anyone know of other common sources for something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Drilling-Atta.../dp/B01MUCL99H

Have a production job that will require a lot of slightly undersize 5MM holes and was planning to hone a 5mm CNC brad point boring bit and use an attachment like that for speed. Turning is not a big part of our work and did a bunch of searching but other than that and some sources in the EU Ive been coming up empty.

For off center holes, check the OneWay device.

I don't understand that thing at all. It looks like they are sliding the chuck mounting shaft. I don't see any place where they mention travel. Can't be much!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I don't understand that thing at all. It looks like they are sliding the chuck mounting shaft. I don't see any place where they mention travel. Can't be much!
    Any of these, whether metal or wood, are limited travel (the length of the throw/slot in the sub spindle). The point is #1 the "sensitive" part I guess is you can feel your drilling process clearing chips (which I dont care about) but the bigger thing is #2 you can drill fixed depth holes far faster than cranking in and retracting a tailstock quill which is what we are after.

You can drill a hole about 98x faster than winding the tailstock quill in and out.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Long series on a very precise small throw version starts here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVxOmh5cj_w&t=1604s

Ends here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzVDk5bUOiM

Is your tailstock a #3 Morse taper? If not you will need an adapter.

#2 MT available for $95

What exactly is your question. Looks like you have the answer to your own question.

I have a machinist tool where the miniature "chuck" or collet is advanced by hand. It is made for a drill press or tapping machine. It is similar (in concept) to the device that Martin Bolton referenced but it does not has the lever mechanism. It strictly is advanced by hand with no mechanical advantage. It would be similar in concept to a drill chuck mounted in a tail stock where you advance the whole tailstock by pushing it rather than cranking the tailstock in and out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    What exactly is your question. Looks like you have the answer to your own question.
    I was looking for other options than just the one I've been able to find. Or if there is other/better solutiouns I haven't found?