Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Noden "Craftsman Package" Auxiliary Bench + Downdraft Top

I think I sorta fixed it Steve...thanks for the heads-up.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the info Jim. I ordered the Powertec downdraft kit today.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I think I sorta fixed it Steve...thanks for the heads-up.
    Nice; thanks!
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    Nice; thanks!
    You're welcome to come check it out sometime, but, of course...after this virus issue moves on. You live SO far away. LOL
    --

Blog Entries
    My Frankencart confided in me last night, telling me he's (I think it's a he?) feeling pretty inadequate after overhearing me talk about your project here.

:-)

I kid (sort of). Honestly though, the result is obviously awesome, but the write up is what I appreciate the most. In general, a strong form of learning is to try to "think like" those that are more experienced. In business, sports, communicating with others.. picking up how others that are successful go about what they do is very valuable. In the case of woodworking seeing the thought process is so helpful as compared to just seeing the result.

What I mean to say is.. thank you for the clear write up (and in general the ongoing tips that you contribute) as many of us benefit.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Thanks, Bob...I appreciate the kind comments and I'm sad that your Frankencart is feeling inadequate. I think they have drugs for that to help him feel perky again...or so the spam emails say.

-----
    To close the book on the last element I was picturing, here's the finished pocket screw jig insert alongside of the other two modes:

IMG_6993.jpg IMG_6994.jpg IMG_6976.jpg

I also did two other minor things today...cleaned out the 20mm holes so that dogs slipped in and made some handy downdraft panel hangers to keep them safe while using the other two top arrangements

IMG_6991.jpg IMG_6992.jpg IMG_6990.jpg

I should have the 4" hose inlet on Sunday and can then check out the downdraft table performance. I still do need to consider storage options for the flat top and pocket screw table inserts. I want to get that right.
    --

Dust port arrived today, so this project is "officially complete". I'll get to test it out in the next few days.

IMG_7002.jpg
    --

I agree with Bob R. Your efforts and willingness to describe and share the bench/downdraft project are appreciated, as are the many insights you contribute across this forum. Thank you.

Just as a small update, I cannot express just how happy I am to have this auxiliary and mobile bench setup in my shop. It's paying for itself in spades, when I need to spread out while handling multiple projects, when I need to organize material and components and when I need to move heavy stuff around. The adjustable height is, as always, the bee's knees. This week I have work running on the CNC, work going on my main bench, work going on my dedicated guitar bench and work going on this auxiliary bench getting more boxes assembled for Professor Dr. SWMBO's honey bee activities...with it moved to the other end of the shop so I can spray finish on a guitar project in front of the double doors where this bench is normally parked. (The raw material and finished work for/from the CNC is getting stacked on the outrigger of my slider at the same time...)

IMG_7335.jpg
    --

Looks awesome, Jim.

What is the range of heights that the bench can vary between?
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Looks awesome, Jim.

What is the range of heights that the bench can vary between?
    The range is 16" if I'm not mistaken. The actual low and high relative to the floor would depend upon the actual bench and how mobility is handled. I haven't measured that.
    --

Blog Entries
    I met Noden once at a Woodworking show once. He was trying to figure out a problem. He sells an adjust a bench and doesn’t see the customer again. These things are built so well that he only makes money once off of each customer. I couldn’t offer any advice. I have one and it’s like a tank. I would definitely buy it again but I can’t imagine having to.

Yea, that's both a good and a bad problem to have, Roger. Geoff was at my shop a few months ago when he dropped off the hardware for this build. (he lives near me) He was actually pretty happy in that a major furniture manufacturer who uses his product just, um...expanded their needs...and repeat business is always a nice thing. I feel fortunate to have two of his units in my shop now, but that's somewhat unusual in the hobbyist and small pro shop scenario I suspect. As you say, it's "one and done". His product is really well engineered and stout. This new craftsman hardware version does make it more affordable, so hopefully more folks will take advantage of that. Height adjustability is a wonderful thing to have with a workbench!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yea, that's both a good and a bad problem to have, Roger. Geoff was at my shop a few months ago when he dropped off the hardware for this build. (he lives near me) He was actually pretty happy in that a major furniture manufacturer who uses his product just, um...expanded their needs...and repeat business is always a nice thing. I feel fortunate to have two of his units in my shop now, but that's somewhat unusual in the hobbyist and small pro shop scenario I suspect. As you say, it's "one and done". His product is really well engineered and stout. This new craftsman hardware version does make it more affordable, so hopefully more folks will take advantage of that. Height adjustability is a wonderful thing to have with a workbench!
    This is funny; I recently watched the videos on the Craftsman Hardware Package that Geoff put on YouTube. They're good, although it would be better if it was one long video instead of like 8 short ones. Anyway, I love the idea and might look into it further one day.

I would probably want to do it for an assembly table and not my main workbench. I only say that because I want to put a leg vise on my main workbench whenever I get around to building a new one, and I'm not sure how one would go about doing that on an Adjust-A-Bench. Plus since my shop is a bit on the small side that means my bench is against the wall all the time, so moving it up and down would probably require dragging it out slightly and then pushing it back after; not the best process / usability. Although I guess a narrower bench than I have now could stay slightly off the wall at all times.

While I could make my assembly table (aka extra bench) height-adjustable, the shop size dictates that this table be mobile at all times. I'm regularly moving it, which interrupts my workflow. I don't think the caster assembly on the Adjust-A-Bench is the best for this kind of scenario. I have double-locking casters on my current table, and that works well, although my basement floor is not flat so I'm often moving the table (or mobile machines) around to find a spot where casters can fully grip the floor. Also my assembly table has stuff stored under it, so I would need to find a place for those as well.

Anyway, someday I hope to have a different shop (when we eventually move) and will definitely revisit the Adjust-A-Bench at that time. Unless something convinces me to do it before then.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    This is funny; I recently watched the videos on the Craftsman Hardware Package that Geoff put on YouTube. They're good, although it would be better if it was one long video instead of like 8 short ones. Anyway, I love the idea and might look into it further one day.
    Yea...I got to preview those videos before they were made public. That's what I worked from since there were not written instructions with the pre-production kit I was working with.

You're welcome to drop by sometime to check it out, masked of course for the foreseeable future. Your plan for use on a more assembly focused setup isn't a horrible idea if you plan on a leg vice for hand-tool woodworking, IMHO. If we downsize in a year or three, I'm hoping my next shop has a flat floor, too. I have a slope. It's a pain for benches, especially mobile ones!
    --