Thread: First CONVID19 And Now An Earthquake

First CONVID19 And Now An Earthquake

At 7:09 this morning I was reviewing the news on-line when my house started to shake and sway. Took me a second, but pretty quick I realized we were having an earthquake. It was a 5.7 about 15 miles away. No damage to my house, but they closed the Salt Lake City airport for about 6 hours, 70,000 were without power for a few hours and we even had a chemical spill which generated a cloud that slowly drifted north...fortunately over the great sale lake where it dissipated.

A number of older apartments had to be evacuated as they are now unsafe, mostly older folks, who are now being moved into the local high school. the good news is the school was closed, the bad news is there is no way to maintain 'social distancing' in an emergency shelter.

Nothing like having an earthquake in the middle of a pandemic. I am waiting for the tornado tomorrow as that will be the perfect trifecta.

Oh, and there have been 50+ aftershocks, the strongest at 4.6.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

keep an eye out for locusts and frogs....

Glad you survived unscathed, hope it stays that way!
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post

Time to watch "Magnolia" again! :^)

I'm glad you got through it ok, Mark. I hope the people impacted can somehow get through it too.
    We are with you.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I can relate, Mark. It hardly seems like it's been more than 2½ years since our 7.0M quake. We had many thousands of aftershocks and they kept us on edge for a while but subside they did and before long you hardly look around for a table to dive under. I'm glad to hear you didn't suffer injury or damages. Hoping the best for everyone there.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post

The locusts have been a problem in Africa and Asia all year - too late...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...-locusts-breed

Blog Entries
    Glad to hear all is okay with you after the quake. Out here on the west coast we have them all the time and if they aren't over a 4 or 5 they tend to go unnoticed.

When we go into town one of the first things we do when we get down to the river is look to the east to see if it is clear enough to see Mount Saint Helens. It has kind of a flat top since it blew back in 1980. That was 28 years before the wife convinced me to move up here.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Yup, pretty freaky. We're about 18 miles from the epicenter. Before it got going good, a few of our windows started rattling, woke us right up. Wife says 'is that the wind?' Then all hell broke loose. Our house is about 90% engraving shop, the basement has 50 years of stuff on shelves everywhere. I was waiting to hear it crashing to the ground, but miraculously it all stayed put. Had a few knicknacks tip over. Worst casualty for us was the rattled nerves. An adrenaline junkie I'm NOT!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Glad to hear all is okay with you after the quake. Out here on the west coast we have them all the time and if they aren't over a 4 or 5 they tend to go unnoticed.

jtk
    In Utah, there have been 16 quakes over 5.5 in the past 170 years, so for here, it was a pretty big deal. Thanks all for your well wishes.