Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting Board Plane

Three things that make the shooting plane (at least the Veritas) nicer than the jack I was previously using:

1) Skewed blade makes the cut with less effort.
    2) The adjustable handle turns to 45 deg and other positions to allow you to provide the appropriate amount of pressure both down and laterally with minimal effort.
    3) The mass powers through the cut.

These make t he plane less fatiguing to use.

4) The Veritas - like most of its other low angle offerings, has lateral set screws. These make removing and resetting the blade, square, easy. You can basically stop mid-shoot, sharpen, and come back without having to dial in again.

I have not yet felt that the Veritas shooting plane is a sacrifice in any of its features.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Three things that make the shooting plane (at least the Veritas) nicer than the jack I was previously using:

2) The adjustable handle turns to 45 deg and other positions to allow you to provide the appropriate amount of pressure both down and laterally with minimal effort.

4) The Veritas - like most of its other low angle offerings, has lateral set screws. These make removing and resetting the blade, square, easy. You can basically stop mid-shoot, sharpen, and come back without having to dial in again.

I have not yet felt that the Veritas shooting plane is a sacrifice in any of its features.
    Prashun nailed it (not an unusual occurrence).

I've happily and accurately used a Record T-5 for many years. Comfortable to use, handle reversible for left- or right-hand use, enough weight to make easy work. Nice choice if you can find one in useful condition.

http://www.record-planes.com/record-...al-jack-plane/

I've made my own boards. The last couple have had the chute faced with UHMW sheet with pressure sensitive adhesive. Easy glide is very nice.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

I chose to make my own BD shooting board planes.

Some of us always drool when you post pictures of the planes you make Stewie!
    Isn't it time for you to do another build thread?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Yes Stewie it is about time, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post

Good points, Prashun.

I wrote a comparison in 2011 of the LN #51, the LN #9 (now discontinued), and the Veritas LA Jack (the Veritas Shooting Plane was not yet out). Not unsurprisingly, the LN #51 was head-and-shoulders above the others, partly because of its greater mass, but what was a surprise was that the low angled LA Jack outpointed the higher angled LN #9 ... the provisor was when users were taught how to hold and use it correctly, since the #9 is inherently a more stable plane otherwise.

Article: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...sCompared.html

I have a rather large choice of planes to use as a shooter. If all I had was the Veritas LA Jack, it would not be dissatisfactory. That was my option for many years.

Remember, flat shooting boards for skew-bladed planes, and ramped boards for straight-bladed planes.

Regards from Perth

Derek