Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Board Plane

Shooting Board Plane

I'm in the market for a dedicated shooting board plane. Thus far, I have been using my LN 5 1/2 and it works great on thinner stock, but I have started shooting enough that I would like a dedicated plane. For those with experience, would you recommend the Veritas with the track or the LN + build your own track. Clearly, the Veritas is a cheaper option... you can get the board and the plane for around the same price as the LN. Which is the better way to go?

I have the LV one, and wouldn't want another one, other than the left handed version in addition. There's nothing to making the boards. I built a whole stack of them in one session. Some I haven't even put fences on yet. I'm sure the track is nice, but I haven't seen a need for a commercial one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM Martin View Post
    I'm in the market for a dedicated shooting board plane. Thus far, I have been using my LN 5 1/2 and it works great on thinner stock, but I have started shooting enough that I would like a dedicated plane. For those with experience, would you recommend the Veritas with the track or the LN + build your own track. Clearly, the Veritas is a cheaper option... you can get the board and the plane for around the same price as the LN. Which is the better way to go?
    I wouldn't buy without trying one on for size. I regard my Wood River 5 1/2 as a gift from the Planing Gods but it's darn uncomfortable to hold for more than a few passes on the shooting board.

I have the Veritas and love it. So much that it unfortunately discouraged me from really really training myself to cut square.

I have the track. It’s a nice to have, not need to have.

Look into the Stanley No. 51/52....

Martin

Both will do the job very well. The Veritas, with its low bed angle, will do it better on end grain.

I own both planes, and ran a comparison here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...tingPlane.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek Cohen has an article comparing a couple that may help you. [Edit: Deleted link because Derek beat me to the punch. ]

With that said, I tried everything and could not get a comfortable grip - Stanley 606 with hotdog handle, LV Low Angle Jack with hotdog handle, etc. I debated buying the LV Shooting Plane both here and in my head for a year. I finally bought one on a Cyber Monday sale. That shooter has become one of my best-loved tools, slotting-in right behind my beloved MF9 Smoother. I could (and did) live without the Shooter. But I'm VERY glad I have one now. I use mine on a homemade board - haven't yet convinced myself I need the track.

But from what I've read, you cant go wrong with a Stanley 51/52. You certainly cant go wrong with the LN version.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 03-18-2020 at 8:00 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I have the LV and is also one of my favorite planes. I built a board based on one used by David Baron shown on YT, which runs parallel to the bench and it works great.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    Love my Veritas and was gifted the track.

Shootingboard v2 (4).jpg

Used the Veritas LAJ and a shop made board before that but, put a hot dog on it.

SB-Guide-Rail-3.jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-19-2020 at 8:41 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I just saw a couple of Stanley No 51/52s on the auction site for between $1,200 and $1,700. Makes the L-N look economical.

I don't think I'll ever see the need to move beyond my Stanley No. 5-1/2 and plywood board. Anything thicker than about an inch can be "shot" in a vise or on the jointer, no? Derek, what am I missing?

Blog Entries
    John,

This is just my opinion based on my experience. My right shoulder is messed up due to an old injury. Using a Stanley/Bailey bench plane was very uncomfortable after a few piece on the shooting board. At the time LN & LV weren't making shooting planes so my choice was the LN #62 low angle jack plane with a hot dog.

Recently at an LN Tool Event their shooting plane was tried. It was much nicer than the #62. After doing some research and finding the Veritas has a lower effective angle, my choice will be one of theirs, most likely a left handed version.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I used a low angle jack for a number of years, and finally made the move to the Veritas Shooting plane with a shop made shooting board. It works very well.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I like Terry Gordon's high angle planes for this - to buck the trend. His long jointer plane is particularly nice for the task, if you've sufficient bench clearance.

Because the plane is so long, it always has positive registry against the shooting board fixture.

They're also beefy, and that extra mass makes steady slow cutting possible.

Tico Vogt's design (which was basically at my cost for materials and perfect, out of the box) let's me engage my own considerable mass behind the cut.

https://ticovogt.com/?page_id=1605

https://hntgordon.com.au/products/jointer-plane

https://youtu.be/Sw_scdtQoFE

Blog Entries
    His long jointer plane is particularly nice for the task, if you've sufficient bench clearance.
    My guess is you have some strong arms and a young shoulder.

The lower the angle on a shooting plane, for me at least, the less work effort and less shoulder pain.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Another very satisfied LV shooting plane customer here, with shop made board.