Thread: Dust collection adapters?

Dust collection adapters?

Hi everyone, I purchased a hybrid Grizzly table saw a few months ago. The manual stated that the dust collector has a 4 inch port opening. Well, I purchased an adapter to fit the saw port opening on one end and then connect to my craftsman wet/dry vacuum hose. The wet/dry hose measured with verniers is 2.190. The adapter that I purchased is 4x2 and a quarter inches. However, the adapter will not fit the saw port opening or the vacuum hose. Scratching my head over this. But, I am slightly retarded and have no mechanical abilities. I don't know if I worded this correctly so that you can understand what I'm talking about. Best wishes and thoughts during these difficult times. Thanks.

Check out a Fernco fitting. I have use several 4x2 fernco's on my equipment. Works wonderful.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fernco-4...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is just one place to buy. Google it. I usually buy my fittings online at SupplyHouse. If you have the time to wait on shipping, you may get a better deal. They can be found at most hardware stores iin town. the 4x2 is a common size found in the plumbing section.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Welcome to the world of dust collection fittings. A world with absolutely no standards.
    Wrap duct tape around the fitting till it fits.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

There are a ton of different parts, all of which have slightly different inner and outer diameters. Your best bet is always to take the part you want to mate to whatever you're thinking about buying. Rocker/Woodcraft are huge for this, IMHO.

5. DC fittings can be weird. I have turned stuff on the lathe to modify it, made adapter rings from wood, heated hoses or fittings to stretch or shrink them, made fittings from pvc fittings or couplings, and sometimes actually used DC fittings that fit like they should.

I feel your pain, and no it doesn't have anything to do with lack of brain-power. These fittings are pretty much a nightmare. Something called "a 4 inch fitting" can often be just as accurate as expecting a 2x4 to actually be two by four inches. Measure everything yourself unless you can get an actual image of the part showing the inside and outside diameters, or as mentioned, take parts in with you to stores to make sure they fit up.

The FERNCO brand is the way to go. Also made by others manufacturers. Note that the inch size refers to standard trade size which is never the exterior diameter. And the pipe material makes a big difference. 4 inch pipe connector can mean sized for copper, cast iron, clay, cement, pvc, steel pipe etc. All called 4" pipe but many different exterior diameters.
    Bill D

I've seen a guy use chinese food takeout plastic containers that just happened to adapt some power tools with 3" ports to his 4" dust collection pipes. I'd suggest using whatever works....

There is a great new way to get adapters made. Get to know someone with a 3-D printer, I am in the process right now of getting a new transition piece made for my Felder overarm blade guard. This piece goes from rectangular to round. I need to switch it out so I can hook up a 4'' hose instead of the 3'' it came with.

10. BTW, I have found it makes sense, to me at least to just make my own wooden dust collection gates. The ones that I have bought were either expensive, fouled quickly and then didn't close all the way, or both. If the slot goes all the way through, the hole goes well past the opening when in the closed position, and the gate is removable it will be self cleaning and easily maintainable in the event something should jam in it. It ended much of my frustration with my dust collection system when I finally got rid of all the manufactured gates.