Thread: Which Bandsaw?

Which Bandsaw?

I've been slooowly upgrading my stationary power tools. After listening to Rob Cosman's recent videos on bandsaws I thought this should be the focus of my next upgrade. My current bandsaw is a Jet 14" with a riser block. Awhile ago I came across an old Crescent bandsaw that would be nice to have. Unfortunately it wasn't for sale. What bandsaw would be your ideal choice?

What are your needs? What's a great choice for one person might be a poor one for another with different needs. What is it you want to do that your current saw can't or isn't good at?

John

If I upgrade my Jet 16" it will be for a 24" model

Blog Entries
    I have the same setup that Steve has and have absolutely no desire to get rid of it. It is on a roller base and I can move it around when needed and back against the wall when it's idle. I also have a Kreg fence on it and really prefer to rip wide boards on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    I've been slooowly upgrading my stationary power tools. After listening to Rob Cosman's recent videos on bandsaws I thought this should be the focus of my next upgrade. My current bandsaw is a Jet 14" with a riser block. Awhile ago I came across an old Crescent bandsaw that would be nice to have. Unfortunately it wasn't for sale. What bandsaw would be your ideal choice?
    Like John asks, needs are important. If you maxed out your current saw, you need to access what your needs are and match your saw to the work you will do.

I have no complaints with my Jet 14" bandsaw (enclosed cabinet model) with a riser block but after seeing the Crescent bandsaw shown below inspired me for something along this line. There's something about some of the old iron that I really like. In my situation it's not so much about need. The Jet has performed every task given it but something like the Crescent would put an extra smile on my face while using it.
    Northfield Jointer 001.jpg

As others have said, what's lacking with your current saw? Or are you just wanting to upgrade. Is a greater resaw capacity important or is the 12" you can do now fine? Do you need more power? Do you have a budget in mind? Is there any shop restrictions, like a ceiling that would prevent a tall band saw from fitting? We are great at spending other people's money so I'm sure we can help.

Keep the 14", and get a 24".

If you have the room I would suggest a 30" Tannewitz. They are big but pretty easy to come by. They still make a cast iron saw (vs the steel ones almost every other brand now makes). My neighbor has an old 36" one and you can feel the quality.

Just beware that if you get a larger sized old iron saw ands it needs work such as balancing the wheels, renovating the guides, you'll be paying a good deal more that for a smaller saw.

So what you want is an old cast iron saw, not because of functional shortcomings with modern saws, but because the old cast iron saws look better to you. No argument there.

A thing about hunting for antique saws is that the shopping process is different from buying a saw which is currently rolling off the production line. With a modern saw, you can read specs and reviews, and decide "I want that one", and then go buy it. With an antique saw, there are far fewer saws, and many of them are in poor condition. Deciding in advance that you want a particular model can make your hunt very difficult. You're better off if you decide you want an old saw, and then see what you can find.

Blog Entries
    Agree with others, don’t fix what ain’t broken. Unless it’s with old arn.

Blog Entries
    Personally, I think it is useful to have multiple bandsaws. I have a 10" Inca that I use for cutting curves and a Felder FB510 for resawing and big work.

Mike

A big old bandsaw sounds like a fine goal in itself, but don't get into a bind if it has problems. Keep the Jet while you enjoy the beast.

I like my Minimax S400 its been great. Minimax 400 - 1.jpg