Thread: How can I turn off videos that play automatically?

How can I turn off videos that play automatically?

I find the videos that kick off automatically when I visit a news site VERY annoying. I tried to adjust my settings in Chrome to stop that crap, but I didnt succeed. Is there a setting in Chrome for this? Or do I need a different browser?

I'd appreciate any help you could lend.

Thanks everyone!
    Fred

Edit: I might have stumbled upon it - I disabled java scripts. That stops the auto video but I dont know if it impacts anything else.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 03-17-2020 at 7:28 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    My understanding is java scripts is obsolete and no longer being supported.

It was a notoriously easy to hack platform.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Jim. I hadnt heard that.

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Right click on the tab at the top of the browser and select "mute site". Chrome will hold the setting for that site. They'll still play but you won't get volume blast.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I don't know about Chrome - don't use it use another chromium-based browser but there are add-ons that disable HTML5 autoplay. If you disable javascript on all sites, many/most will not work. I use Firefox primarily and it has an add-on call NoScript. It can be irritating until you decide which scripts to allow on which sites. At least one of Google or Facebook want to run scripts on nearly every site I visit. I don't let them run. I was amazed when I first installed NoScript and visited popular sites like cnn and sports illustrated how many different sites were wanting to run scripts on those sites. No wonder the web seems slow.

I use a Chrome plug-in to disable HTML autoplay.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    No wonder the web seems slow.
    Most likely the web seems slow now because everyone is stuck at home watching cute kitten videos.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thank you folks!
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Most likely the web seems slow now because everyone is stuck at home watching cute kitten videos.

jtk
    Ours seems no slower than usual, of course 690KB wasn't very fast to begin with. Third world has better internet than we do, and we live less than 20 miles to state capital building. Live in the richest county in NC, with poorest internet service.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Ours seems no slower than usual, of course 690KB wasn't very fast to begin with. Third world has better internet than we do, and we live less than 20 miles to state capital building. Live in the richest county in NC, with poorest internet service.
    Your observation seems not uncommon, and not only in the U.S. Some little podunk town in middle-of-nowhere U.S.A has excellent internet, areas in the shadow of the seat of government has mediocre internet. I have no idea why.