Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Shortstroke sliding saws

Any info on that drill press he has?

I’ve always enjoyed the Ishitani videos especially seeing the older Japanese standard machines. I like the little table saw with the outboard saw. Pretty rare to see those machines here.

I picked up a vintage T17 slider a while back thinking at some point I will probably be downsizing my shop. A few observations about this-

It came with the factory cross fence that extends to 12’. This was too much for the space it sets in so I fitted a Felder short fence and that has worked well. It was the only aftermarket fence I could find that that would function like the original for mitering and lateral fence movement.
    The only downside I have seen to this saw is the slider away from the blade. This makes dado or shaper head setups easier than a conventional slider but think I would prefer next to the blade. The other thing I miss is the hydro blade tilt and raise on my T72. The 1970s era Martin and Altendorf short sliders had this feature. These were not total cast iron saws but desirable in my opinion. These saws had slider next to the blade. The old US and UK short sliders do not appeal to me because of the pattern maker type fence and lack of outrigger support. I know some of these had permanent extended sliding tables but those seem pretty unhandy
    One thing I have found interesting in using this saw is after 20 years of not having a standard table saw in the shop I feel uncomfortable standing behind this and ripping. I have other ripping means in the shop but have alway done a bit on the full size slider. Say what you want about that being awkward but it sure puts you out of the path of flying objects!

This saw will get total restoration at some point and will add overhead DC and a motor brake.

999CDBD4-1A30-4858-BE85-C209E802D643.jpg
    4ED1E843-2A7C-40E5-AFFE-87CD274DF398.jpg
    Last edited by Joe Calhoon; 03-21-2020 at 1:04 PM.

A nice feature of the old sliders is that the sliding table either cranks or pulls out so you can add a dado and keep the fence references on both the crosscut and rip fences. I like that better than removing a flange to add the stack. Mac of Mac's Clamps fame has a SCMI saw shaper made in the early 90s that also has either a pull out table or adjustable arbor ( I don't remember which ). The saw and shaper can be lined up to cut and shape in one pass. The machines were sold in Europe but I think Mac has the only one here in the US. Dave

Joe, what is the name of the small rip saw with the outboard saw that Ishitani-san uses?

Wakahisa, no idea the brand. Not sure if he is using it the way it’s designed. That setup could be dangerous in the wrong hands but sure looks handy for haunching. The Japanese machines sure interest me but difficult to find much info in English.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    A nice feature of the old sliders is that the sliding table either cranks or pulls out so you can add a dado and keep the fence references on both the crosscut and rip fences. I like that better than removing a flange to add the stack. Mac of Mac's Clamps fame has a SCMI saw shaper made in the early 90s that also has either a pull out table or adjustable arbor ( I don't remember which ). The saw and shaper can be lined up to cut and shape in one pass. The machines were sold in Europe but I think Mac has the only one here in the US. Dave
    Dave, my cousin in Italy had one of those in his shop. Had a picture somewhere but cannot find. On his the saw blade was adjustable lateraly to set the tenon and slotting depth. He had a well equipped door and window shop. He left this machine set up for making shutters.
    here is one like he had.
    https://files.hoechsmann.com/lexikon...it.pdf?lang=en

Blog Entries
    Sorry, but can’t do better than what’s in this thread:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ado&highlight=

For those interested, there is a nice looking Casadei on Woodweb. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    I’ve always enjoyed the Ishitani videos especially seeing the older Japanese standard machines. I like the little table saw with the outboard saw. Pretty rare to see those machines here.

I picked up a vintage T17 slider a while back thinking at some point I will probably be downsizing my shop. A few observations about this-

This saw will get total restoration at some point and will add overhead DC and a motor brake.

999CDBD4-1A30-4858-BE85-C209E802D643.jpg
    4ED1E843-2A7C-40E5-AFFE-87CD274DF398.jpg
    Your critiques of the saw are reasons why i want one. I already have a Felder KF700 to do the majority of my crosscutting, but i dont like the saw too much for ripping. It is an 80" stroke, which is long enough to have the carriage in my way using the rip fence and too short for 70% of my rips on the slider. In all honesty, i should probably think about selling the powermatic 72 and Felder KF700, and replacing with a T-17 and a separate shaper. I keep looking for a t-17. There was one in Long Island not too long ago for about $3,000. I just need to keep paying attention. A guy by the name of Jeff, i believe, picked one up in Chicago last year for a song. I saw the listing during one of my usual searches and it was gone in a few hours. Oddly enough, it showed up on youtube not too long after haha. $800, if i remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakahisa Shinta View Post
    Joe, what is the name of the small rip saw with the outboard saw that Ishitani-san uses?
    Think it’s an old Kyowa.

Cool little machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Joe, there are a several shops on my territory that have cabinet saws with the sliding "attachments" (variety of brands; you would know them) and the owners all say the same thing you are saying. One guy told me, "We don't even use it any more". Apparently does not keep alignment, have to re-square every time, etc. Interesting observation.

Erik
    Curious, is Robland one of the brands? I've had the heavy cast iron Robland sliding attachment on my PM66 for years now and so far it seems to stay aligned well. However, I do not use the saw in a woodworking business and no one but myself touches it.

Peter, thank you. While the brand is Kyoma for that particular machine, what do the Japanese call this type of saw? Rip saw? Tennon saw? I agree with Joe. I have been looking for info the last year, but can't find any reliable info in English. The web translator is unreliable. It translates the name as "lift saw." That makes no sense. It makes me want to learn a new language.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakahisa Shinta View Post
    Peter, thank you. While the brand is Kyoma for that particular machine, what do the Japanese call this type of saw? Rip saw? Tennon saw? I agree with Joe. I have been looking for info the last year, but can't find any reliable info in English. The web translator is unreliable. It translates the name as "lift saw." That makes no sense. It makes me want to learn a new language.
    I think “昇降盤” refers just to the table saw part of the machine where the blade is only height adjustable (lifting) rather than one where the blade is both tilting and height adjustable. I don’t believe there’s any direct translation other than “saw with tenoner”.

Been wanting a Tokiwa SB-400 for years now.

Thanks for that Peter. Googling that now I find a lot of pictures and understand the side saw better.
    I want one!

How does the secondary saw work?