Thread: Plumbing question

Plumbing question

Getting the guest bathroom back together after a renewal. Instead of getting a plain wax ring I opted to get this.IMG_0029.jpg There is wax in it that faces the toilet flange IMG_0027.jpg But the wax is slightly recessedIMG_0028.jpg and doesn't quite touch the flange which is just above floor height. Granted, I'm getting feeble minded but how will this seal if the wax doesn't contact the flange? Does the whole thing compress with the toilet weight? It seems pretty solid. A picture of my Art Deco like mosaic tile job.IMG_2027.jpg Lotta work.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

the tile is fun.

i have not seen a seal like that. i think the wax side may face down? I use fluid master waxless seal and have not had any problems with it.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fluidmas...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

further looking at it.. yes, the toilet will push the wax down to the flange.
    Last edited by Adam Herman; 03-20-2020 at 6:02 PM.

Can't think of the name now....there is a toilet seal that is made out of "medical grade" rubber. Works great and can be
    re-used. For a while they were in Lowes et al ,but Aparantly the plumbing supply places made a deal. Much better than
    wax.

Blog Entries
    It will seal up just fine; however, you need to remove the black plastic piece that is in you drain flange. It is part of the wax ring you removed when you pulled the toilet. This video shows how to install the product you have.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    It will seal up just fine; however, you need to remove the black plastic piece that is in you drain flange. It is part of the wax ring you removed when you pulled the toilet. This video shows how to install the product you have.
    Drats. I tried taking that out but it wasn't budging so I assumed it was part of the flange. Guess I'll have a do over. Double drat. Two steps forward and one back. Thanks to all.
    Last edited by Michael Weber; 03-20-2020 at 9:22 PM. Reason: added thanks
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

PRICELESS! That's the look on a helper's face when he puts his hand into old wax ring. Usually says what he thinks he has put his hand into. Priceless!!

I saw the same thing Lee mentioned. One more tip keep your mouth closed when you yank that Neoprene flange out.
    Aj

Couple things:

1. You can stack plain wax rings if necessary.
    2. There are softer wax rings available that you can manipulate into shape or add to another wax ring. The softer ones I've used at work (I'm a maintenance tech at our county courthouse) were white instead of dirty yellow. When I set a toilet, I use one of the soft ones to fill any gaps between the floor flange and the flooring so that if there's a leak it goes out and is noticed rather than slowly destroying the subfloor unseen. That's also why it's a bad idea to caulk the base of the toilet, as many do.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore