Thread: Oneida Supercell or Oneida V-System 3000

Oneida Supercell or Oneida V-System 3000

I have not been able to find much information about the new Supercell to see if it would fit my application. I am trying to decide if the new Supercell is a better option than the Oneida V-System. The cost of $2,500 is the top of my budget and adding new ductwork would have to wait until I was able to save up.

Current System:
    -Grizzly 2 hp power single stage with add on pleated filter. My filter often needs cleaning and the current bag is a PITA to empty. I know I can add a super dust deputy cyclone to improve separation but I am also needing improved performance.
    -4" PVC duct with blast gates and grounding
    -1 run 15' long to miter saw station and 24" International dual drum sander
    -1 run of 25' to Hammer A31 and Delta Unisaw

-I run one machine at a time
    -I am wanting to upgrade due to the current system does not seem to pull enough for the Hammer A31 and leaves behind chips

A few questions I am trying to answer
    1. Would the Supercell be the best options since I have 4" ductwork?
    2. Would the V-System 3000 not be a good option without upgrading to 6" ductwork?
    3. Would either of these systems be overkill with my current machines and using one machine at a time?
    4. Is there a better combination of collector and ductwork that would give good performance in my price range.
    Example: Mini Gorila with 6" ductwork
    Laguna Cflux 2 hp with 6" ductwork
    Laguna Cflux 2 hp with current 4" ductwork

I know there are many variables that make selecting a dust collection system difficult. I don't mind spending the money for something as important as dust collection but I want to make sure I get as close to right as possible. Thanks for your help in advance.

Randy

I would get the V-System instead of the Supercell. Oneida shows a maximum of about 500 CFM for the Supercell. It will achieve that without large piping but it will never do more than that. The V-System, will get that kind of airflow even with about 11 inches of water column of resistance and will flow much more air with less resistance. You seem to be thinking of enlarging your piping later and I think that points to the V-3000. You could try it on your current 4 inch and if it isn't enough, you would know it will be enough with bigger piping.

Someone on another forum asked a similar question a while ago. I put this chart together for him, his jointer and tablesaw were connected with 4" ducting. I would have to go digging for the spreadsheet to find details on his plumbing but here's the chart:

Your Grizzly is somewhere between the V3000 and the HFDC.

The dotted lines are system curves for the various hose and duct setups. The solid lines are the fan curves for the different DCs. The points where a system curve intersects a fan curve is the operating point for that combination.

The graph shows that there would be little improvement over the Griz with the Supercell and your existing 4" ducts. If you're not using anything smaller than 4" your best choice is clearly the V3000. 6" would, of course, be even better performance.

If you want to post some photos of your setup I can look for the spreadsheet and adjust the system curves closer to what you have. I'll also add the Laguna fan curve.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

These two systems are certainly both great dust collection solutions but they are designed for different scenarios. Supercell is primarily a portable unit by design, although there's no "rule" that says you can't park it in one place. It's high pressure design is flexible relative to tools it services, too, supporting smaller ports better than a "normal" dust collection system which works primarily by moving large quantities of air. Separation with the short cone "may" not be as good as a long-cone, fixed cyclone design like the V-series, however. The choice for me would be easy once reading your list of tools, however....drum sander, J/P combo...no question I'd choose the V-series and also upsize the duct work as appropriate for moving the air necessary to optimally collect from these tools.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I had the same quandary a couple months ago and opted for the V3000. I have a smallish 450sf shop, and no tools with more than 4" ports. But I did have plenty of room for the slightly larger footprint needed for the V3000. In the end, the decision came down to very little customer feedback on the SuperCell, the long cone on the V3000, and the noise level of the SuperCell. Since the V3000 has a 7" inlet, my main duct is 7".

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mills View Post
    I had the same quandary a couple months ago and opted for the V3000.
    Dave, any consideration of going with a higher-hp model? (or did you wish you had in hindsight?)

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    Dave, any consideration of going with a higher-hp model? (or did you wish you had in hindsight?)
    Not yet, but I've only had the setup with ducts connected for a couple months. It can easily suck from a 2-1/2 and a 4" port at the same time, but I wouldn't say I'm one of the largest dust creators around. My shop is fairly small, I'm just a hobby guy that tends to over-do (and over-spend) my purchases. I just ordered the parts for another drop that I'll add in. The jump to 5hp has not crossed my mind.

IMG_1040.jpg

Blog Entries
    Any system should accommodate the proper airflow for your shop tools, even though your existing duct is inadequate for the job. A good rule is you need 800-1000 cfm at no less than 6" of WC for a table saw with top and bottom collection. That dictates the V-3000. And if you upgrade, go with a 7" main duct.
    NOW you tell me...

I’d go with the V3000 (or Clearvue). And instead of letting that beauty sit, if it works layout wise, set it up and simply install one run of 6” PVC run then split it to your two 4” runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I’d go with the V3000 (or Clearvue). And instead of letting that beauty sit, if it works layout wise, set it up and simply install one run of 6” PVC run then split it to your two 4” runs.
    Exactly! Thats what Id do too!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!