Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lid cupping

The fact that it does this 'without fail' is making me think something specific you are doing is making this happen.

What species of wood are you using?
    What are the dimensions of your lid?
    When you say laminated, do you mean vertically or horizontally?
    Are you resawing thick stock into thinner boards? This can release tension that can cause the slices to warp within seconds or hours of cutting.
    Can you show a picture?
    How are you rough milling? power planer, or hand planing?

Without any of that info, the only common denominator we have is your dealer. It is possible he's selling green lumber. Even with that, though, most warping doesn't always happen 'the next day'.

You can maximize your chances of stability by using straight grain rift or quartersawn wood. Start with stock about 1/2" or 3/4" thicker than you need. Plane similar amounts off each side. Bring it inside for a day or 3 before final thicknessing.

A lot to think about, thank you all for the responses and the tips.
    Prashun, when laminating I've only done horizontal and use hand planes to flatten and square my stock. I haven't been working with any rough lumber, it's all been sold as s4s. The picture I posted in this thread I used sapele with a single piece covet that I did not resaw. The one before that that out happened on was just sold as mahogany and the one before that was ash. The lid in the picture is 5x10x3/4 but with a 1/4 rebate 3/4 in on all four edges.
    Last edited by David E. Hutchins; 03-19-2020 at 7:01 PM. Reason: Spelling

Anyone think a bread board ends..
    2 drawer chest, top drawer PIP.JPG
    That lid is just over 1/4" thick...
    2 drawer chest, pre-stain.JPG
    2 drawer chest, B&B Tongue.JPG
    YMMV...