Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do Miller Falls bench planes compare to Stanley?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Nguyen View Post
    When I went looking for my first plane, I immediately though Stanley. The Veritas and Lie Nielson were both out of my price range. The WoodRiver was within range, but I though I could get at least two or three older plane for the same price as a single WoodRiver plane. The Millers Falls was interesting because of the unique hinged lever cap. I think Millers Falls and Paragon Planes are the only two company that have that unique cap. Accidentally, I went on a spending frenzy and now have a MF No. 22 to No. 8 with the exception of a No. 10. Most of the planes I purchased are in good condition and all users except for the franken type 1 No. 9.
    The Millers Falls offer a different design and the horse shoe shape logo is a win. They are a little more scarce than the typical Stanley and still relatively easy to obtain. According to Jim Matthews, a member here, they are falling out of tree where is he from. Hummm, I could always get another No. 9... wonder if the wife will notice....
    Still Looking for the No. 22 and 24 Miller Falls type 2, myself. Seems those that have them for sale believe they are gold. The times I have used my 10, etc. are the cats meow with the Veritas A2 iron and chip breaker in it.

I also own several Millers Falls planes and other tools. They were well made and perform really well for me. The company has a really interesting history, their management had very old fashioned ethics.

A "Family Photo" of the ones I have....other than the #1544 low-angle block plane...still in it original box, BTW..
    Millers Falls, Family Photo.JPG
    Left to right: #15, #14, #11, # 9, #8, #9, and a Craftsman #8....
    Two stanleys above this mess and a Stanley No. 6 to the left of the group...

Sounds like Miller Falls are good planes. I hope to come across some in the wild going forward.

I like the MF plames - they work well. But I've had corrosion problems in the threaded rods thru the tote and knob. I'll be planing with a plane that looks like new and the knob or tote will break off. Rod totally corroded, no getting the pieces out of the body without drilling.

A lot of the threaded rods were actually "Blued" steel bolts.....sometime the blue was removed to make things shiny for the next buyer.....domestic hardwood handles then drew moisture and rust the steel.....simple solution would have been a drop of oil on the threads, just before threading them back into place on the plane. Don't blame the plane for someone's lack of foresight.....when you get a plane, take it apart, oil the threads a bit, even a wipe along the shafts of the bolts/rods...including ALL threaded parts. Just that one simple, little step, can save a LOT of trouble down the road.....and NOT just Millers Falls planes....ANY plane.

One note: I have yet to have any Millers Falls plane "chatter", even with the OEM iron....and all of mine have the original iron......works just fine.
    IMAG0024.JPG
    Even this one..
    .IMAG0025.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by steven c newman; 03-21-2020 at 10:40 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Gornall View Post
    I like the MF plames - they work well. But I've had corrosion problems in the threaded rods thru the tote and knob. I'll be planing with a plane that looks like new and the knob or tote will break off. Rod totally corroded, no getting the pieces out of the body without drilling.
    Depending on your equipment on hand removing the threaded remnants might be done without great difficulty.

Do you have access to a drill press?

My older drill press has a reversible motor. This would allow for using left handed drill bits. In my experience these work better than an easy out in removing broken bolts and screws.

You location isn't entered in your profile information. You may live close to someone who may be willing and able to help you.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Jim, I have all the tools. 2 of the planes have the rod rusted right thru at the body. I haven't tried repair yet. Not sure of the thread size.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Gornall View Post
    Thanks Jim, I have all the tools. 2 of the planes have the rod rusted right thru at the body. I haven't tried repair yet. Not sure of the thread size.
    Hopefully someone here will be able to help with that. My grandson was given my only Millers Falls made plane. He lives 600 miles away so it would be difficult for me to check.

Stanley/Bailey planes have been my preferred plane if only for the interchangeability of many parts. They used an uncommon thread pitch for most of their hardware.

My recollection is Millers Falls used a more common thread. The knob and tote should have the same pitch. It is also likely the same from model to model if you have more Millers Falls planes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I've always like the 2 piece lever cap..Unique...I think they are close to STANLEY in quality those years....One of few.
    Jerry