Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do Miller Falls bench planes compare to Stanley?

How do Miller Falls bench planes compare to Stanley?

A thread in the Classifieds forum got me wondering how the Miller Falls bench planes compare with Stanley planes prior to WWII? Is there a type classification for the MF planes like has been done with Stanley planes? Is there an era for the Miller Falls planes that is considered the best in terms of features and quality? I'm guessing maybe type 1 and type 2 planes. ??? I did find a considerable bit of info on oldtoolheavendotcom. I've never come across one of the MF planes and was just curious. From what I've read in various threads they seem to be well thought of.

Blog Entries
    When I went looking for my first plane, I immediately though Stanley. The Veritas and Lie Nielson were both out of my price range. The WoodRiver was within range, but I though I could get at least two or three older plane for the same price as a single WoodRiver plane. The Millers Falls was interesting because of the unique hinged lever cap. I think Millers Falls and Paragon Planes are the only two company that have that unique cap. Accidentally, I went on a spending frenzy and now have a MF No. 22 to No. 8 with the exception of a No. 10. Most of the planes I purchased are in good condition and all users except for the franken type 1 No. 9.
    The Millers Falls offer a different design and the horse shoe shape logo is a win. They are a little more scarce than the typical Stanley and still relatively easy to obtain. According to Jim Matthews, a member here, they are falling out of tree where is he from. Hummm, I could always get another No. 9... wonder if the wife will notice....

There is indeed a site for Millers Falls tools....search for, say a Millers Falls No. 9....and the site will show up

There were basically 5 "types" of MF planes....Type 1 started when they first entered the plane market in 1929, and are collector's items....most commonly found is the Type 3...1941-1949. There are two Type 2s...from before the war, and then after the war. The last GOOD type is the type 4. Do NOT bother with the type 5.

I have a few of the Type 2 and 3....and a very good type 4. The irons seem to be a hair thicker on the Millers Falls planes, than the Stanley ones I have.
    Heart of Ohio, 3 jacks.JPG
    Left to right. Type 2 No. 11, Type 2 No. 14, and a Type 3 No. 15. Millers Falls model numbers were based on the length of the sole. Although, a No. 8 while the width of a #3Stanley, is still the same length as the #9 MF/Stanley #4....9". And, if set up the way they are supposed to be...are all chatter-free.

Blog Entries
    This guy will talk you through a lot of the types. My type 3 and early 4 No.9's and 14 are solid workers. I put PM-v11 iron and cap set in a 9 and was happy enough about it to pony up for a second iron and cap set for the 14 about a year later. A few years ago these planes were a bargain. Prices are up on MF but, are up on others too so the difference may still make them a bargain
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-16-2020 at 5:55 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have an MF #9 (equals a Stanley #4) that belonged to my Grandfather. It was my first plane and after tuning it well, it remains my favorite of all my planes - pre-Ww2 Stanley, new Veritas, new LN and new Wood River. It's a delight to use and is my go to smoother. It is used on every project. Shavings 1-2 mils using a Veritas replacement iron. I'll buy the MF equivalent of a #3 one of these days.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I've had a couple. They were the #56 (Stanley #60 1/2) block, #14 (Stanley#5) Jack, and #10 (Stanley #4 1/2) Smoother. They were nice planes. The 2 piece lever cap on the two bench planes was clever. When sharp they worked just like a plane is supposed to work. They moved on years ago.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I have some Millers Falls block planes in Craftsman regalia. I am quite fond of them; they work very well. Same with the Sargents. I've also got a Millers Falls rabbit block plane, again very nice. I've got some chisels, Yankee drills & screwdrivers, and rules as well. Most of the older Millers Falls stuff is good, on par with Stanley, Goodall Pratt, Union, Lufkin, Sargent, etc. Some of the '50s, 60s, and 70s stuff can get a little flakey, but that happened with most of the manufactures then.

Blog Entries
    My Dunlap #9 worked just as well as either of my Stanley/Bailey #3s. It is not with my grandson in California.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I am a fan of the two piece lever cap on MF planes, and always on the look out for them. I find this model of MF easier to get to perform than similar Stanley Baileys.

More collector than user, the MF Buck Rogers, are more than excellent, though you would be unlikely to come across one, except through a dealer (I have examples of each MF Buck Roger tools).
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    Talking about Millers Falls. My No. 15 came in today. My wife wasn't as impress, but maybe you guys would be more enthusiastic about it.

20200317_131614.jpg

N0. 22 to No. 8, missing the No. 10. Some of the guys need a few parts to make them true MF planes. Missing the cap for No. 11 and a couple of irons.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Nguyen View Post
    Talking about Millers Falls. My No. 15 came in today. My wife wasn't as impress, but maybe you guys would be more enthusiastic about it.

20200317_131614.jpg

N0. 22 to No. 8, missing the No. 10. Some of the guys need a few parts to make them true MF planes. Missing the cap for No. 11 and a couple of irons.
    No. 15 is a 5-1/2 sized plane, correct? 5-1/2 is one of my favorite sizes, plus No. 3 and 7.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    Yes, MF No. 15 is a Stanley 5 1/2. Elusive size for MF planes.

I have a Millers Falls equivalent to a Stanley #5, it's heavier than a Stanley by a little which I like. I've been really happy with it.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

14. I'm a big fan of Millers Falls planes, and gradually acquired a collection of #'s 8-22 with the exception of the #15. I live in New England, and spent a lot of time in central MA, so I appreciate MF tools as a piece of local history.

As users, I think they are just as good as any Stanley, and offer the same performance. My MF planes are all types 2-4, and I think compared to pre-war Stanleys, they are cosmetically a bit less "precise" in fit and finish, and tend to have a slightly wider mouth. Some of the earlier Stanley's are just really nicely executed when you get one in good shape!

For MF planes, I actually prefer the later type 4. The overwhelmingly common wartime MF planes are more likely to have a very soft, mystery alloy depth adjuster nut of a silver color (some Stanleys from this period have plastic ones), and a cheaper mystery wood for the handle. I also prefer the handle shape on the later MF planes, they're are a nice tropical hardwood (as were the pre-war examples), and I really like the heavier brass casting they used for the adjuster nut.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    No. 15 is a 5-1/2 sized plane, correct? 5-1/2 is one of my favorite sizes, plus No. 3 and 7.
    Correct And that is one of those sizes you don't see so often from MF.