Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Project: Equestrian Center Locker Doors

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Mike, the local lumber supplier I used (the same folks who I take stuff to for their wide sander, etc.) had to order this in and had to order it from a different distributor than he normally buys from. Not only did I have to buy a 122 bd fit lot of the material, he had to spend another two grand to meet their minimum order himself. This is one reason I've become very loyal to him for domestic woods.
    Those are very good reasons, Jim. Thanks for sharing your project photos, excellent as always.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Beautiful work Jim!

How did you deal with the moisture issue? Plane a bit off then let it sit longer, or..?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daily View Post

How did you deal with the moisture issue? Plane a bit off then let it sit longer, or..?
    Yea, multiple steps to "get there". The MC wasn't horrible, but it was higher than I preferred. Pine is also inclined to have some inherent tension in it. For example, I absolutely had to rip the boards on the bandsaw this time around. I don't do that often and fortunately, the longest components were able to be cut at the band-saw. After each step of taking the material down which included face jointing back to flat and then thicknessing, it was stacked with stickers as shown in a couple of the early photos above. I even had a fan on it after the first cut. I left everything slightly proud until just prior to final processing of the rails and stiles, only having to take off about a millimeter in both thickness and width, all of which I did with the thickness planer. That did give me "mostly" dead flat components and the two or three that still work not perfect were brought into line with that nice panel sandwiched between them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the explanation. I’ve found working with pine “difficult” because it can be so unstable. Flat today, warped tomorrow.

Yea, and ever doing what I did...it can still become "wiggly wood" on a whim...
    --

Probably best used for soap box derby cars.

Maybe, but those are not on my project list. I did use part of my left-overs this week for the frame of my new downdraft table (product thread to come soon) and it stayed flat and true the first time it was milled. I'll call that a win.
    --

Nicely done, Jim. That pine may have had it challenges, but it’s a perfect look for an equestrian center. I bet they are thrilled.

Phil, the comments that folks have made in response to the client's very public post on Facebook, has been very positive and uplifting. The part I enjoyed was the client saying that It was time to "hire a pizza maker to make the pizza". He usually does his own work. I really appreciated that.
    --

Another great project and a great build along. I truly appreciate you taking the time for photos and writing these up. I always seem to learn something new, whether a little trick from a photo or your description; they are very helpful.

Nice doors Jim! That's very impressive for knotty pine. Any movement from flat? What did you do, if anything, to ensure this?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, the fields are knotty pine veneer plywood...very high quality stuff (Just shy of $80US a sheet)...and very stable. Thanks for your kind comment. Much apprecaited!
    --

Thanks for taking the time to post this. Wonderful work & a great read.

I live in the land of pine & the price has also gone up a lot recently. I'm fortunate that there is a great family run lumber yard close by that usually has high quality pine.

Frank, I would actually guess that what quality pine we get here likely comes from up your way. And thanks for the kind comment.

-----

One of the ironies here with this project for the client is that while he's got everything hung and has presumably moved on to finishing work...nobody gets to see this other than in photos for the time being. None of his borders or folks just taking riding lessons are permitted on the property during the shutdown. Sports venues are not considered life sustaining businesses. (Although anyone who has ever spent time with horses knows that they are one of the most empathetic beings on the planet)
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-24-2020 at 10:32 AM.
    --