Thread: Torsion Box for Matchfit Clamps

Torsion Box for Matchfit Clamps

I want to make a lightweight 36" x 36" x 3" torsion box with a dovetail crosshatch top for Matchfit clamps. My idea is to clamp it down to my table saw's outfeed table when in use. Has anyone made anything like this?

I'd not been aware of those clamps. Do they really work? My first instinct would be to worry that tightening the clamps would pull them out of the groove by delaminating the MDF they suggest.

But presuming they don't do that, yes, you should be able to make a torsion box thing for them. And if they do destroy the grooves, your plan B could be the Festool MFT approach, where the clamps insert through holes bored in the table.

Blog Entries
    I would be tempted to skin the torsion box with 1/4" material. One the torsion box is complete and satisfactory I would then add a 3/4" top layer for the dovetails. The combination of the ~3/8" deep dovetails, the job of being a torsion box skin and supporting the clamping pull may be too much to ask.

@Jamie I have used these clamps for quite awhile without issue. You may be able to delaminate the dovetailed surface but, you would have to be pretty abusive to do that if my experience is any guideline. I have also used them in BB ply but, I am very aware of the torque I am using when in plywood.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I'd not been aware of those clamps. Do they really work? My first instinct would be to worry that tightening the clamps would pull them out of the groove by delaminating the MDF they suggest.

But presuming they don't do that, yes, you should be able to make a torsion box thing for them. And if they do destroy the grooves, your plan B could be the Festool MFT approach, where the clamps insert through holes bored in the table.
    I had the same thought initially and that could happen in some situations. But the clamping force is not normally pulling up on the surface, rather it is pinching the surface between the dovetail bar and the clamped part on the surface.

5. If you completed a torsion box with MatchFit dovetail clamps, please share with the group.