Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I'm no Luddite but

A Wixey gauge is on my wish list but I guess I am a Luddite, I still use a draftsman's triangle when I need a 45 degree setting to be right.

Depth of cut is set with some home made wooden blocks about 4x2 inches that vary in thickness by 1/16. I have them from 1/8 to about an inch and a half. I can stack them when necessary. I made them years ago for my Skil biscuit joiner which has a crummy fence. I works fine if you use blocks like this to set the fence.

I actually needed to set my saw blade to 10º today for a project and pulled out a Wixey digital angle thigie to do the deed. It was the mute version, however...the only voice I heard was my own...which is a scary thought
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

To answer your question, yes you're a luddite. There's a support group in the Neanderthal heaven

Quote Originally Posted by Bert McMahan View Post
    My new Milwaukee drill and impact driver have an app you can use to set torque and speed profiles. For example, you can open up the app and set the drill to "2 1/5" bimetal hole saw in wood" and it'll adjust the speed for you. Similarly for the impact driver- it can auto detect its own torque output, and have it do things like "spin fast until it senses some torque, then spin slow" for use when installing self-tapping sheetmetal screws. For those, you need to go fast to get it to penetrate, but if it goes too fast in "impact drive" mode you'll strip it out. Most drivers just have a "high or low" mode, which means you either have to be super careful to not strip in High mode or lean into it for a while in Slow mode. Necessary? Not at all. Cool? Absolutely

You can also set it up to have multiple presets. For example (in addition to the manual, standard adjustments) you can have preset 1 be a hole saw, 2 be a small wood screw, 3 to be a 3/16" hole in metal, etc.
    i recently bought a new Bosch 18v drill/driver as well as an impact driver, and they have an optional Bluetooth module that pops into the handles to do the same thing. I don’t expect I’ll be getting the modules, but I do think it’s pretty cool technology for those who can benefit from this technology (production work, etc.).

One interesting use for Bluetooth that works really nicely is how Festool is leveraging it to control the dust extraction from a cordless sander. With a corded tool, pressing the trigger on the tool asks for power and that, in turn, signals the vacuum to turn on. With the Cordless tool, Bluetooth is used to emulate the same...without the physical cord connection. Technology really can be useful in the shop.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I think you’re right. For some people, there seems to be more interest in preparing for building something than actually building something. Nothing wrong with that. I have fishing friends that enjoy collecting and preparing fishing gear more than they like actually fishing.

not saying this tool is not useful, but to answer OP’s question, I think you should spend your money on some wood and make something instead. At least that’s what I always try to tell
    my self when I’m trying to but another tool or accessory.