Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stocks? Sitting tight? Selling? Buying?

Blog Entries

Stocks? Sitting tight? Selling? Buying?

Pretty scary stock market, I'm trying to sit tight but must admit I've sold some. What are you doing? I know, I know, Warren Buffett is out there buying, but I'm no Warren Buffett. It's a lot easier when you have billions to be a buyer at this time.
    Dennis

I think sitting tight I think is the best policy. I think this panic won't last long. Once the Corona Virus is better understood and no, we don't need 2 months supply of toilet paper on hand, things will get back to nearly normal. Will the stock market get back to where it was? I'm guessing not for a while but it'll come back from where it is now. What would really throw a wrench in the machinery would be news of widespread layoffs, cancellation of industrial orders, that sort of thing. Markets don't like uncertainty and there's a fair bit of uncertainty right now.

I am staying in the market but my CFP and the fund managers may have made some adjustments. I know he put a little cash on the side when the market was high anticipating a correction which he will probably invest soon. I try to stay out of the details.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

I'm sitting tight at the moment, but looking to buy $20-30K in the next month and maybe reshuffle some of my bonds to buy more stocks. I figure it's still got a ways to go down before it heads back up-- but in the long term, it's heading back up.
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

Sitting

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Sitting. No point in panicing. I made one minor change a few weeks ago to slightly lower volatility risk, but other than that, I'm fine staying in the fund I use for my IRAs.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sit tight and make some sawdust. It will come back quickly after the virus burns out.

Bought 300 shares of Emerson Electric on Friday.

Blog Entries
    Really!?! This is where you get your portfolio advice? I'm just funnin'.

Historically you will have the advantage if you have a plan, stick to the plan, stay the course. At my age I am now fairly conservative. It took me a couple of days to figure out what the yung-uns were panicking about. Then I thought back to my younger days and my more aggressive positions . . . yep, that woulda hurt.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Sold some about 2 weeks ago and glad I did to free up some cash. Money went into bond fund whch has not suffered so much. Can be moved back when things settle. Maybe time to buy more Bitcoin though!

Whatever decision you make in terms of buying, selling or sitting should be made in the context of ensuring you have enough cash on hand to make sure your personal liquidity is not at risk. Ask yourself whether you would be okay with it if the money you have in the market was not accessible to you for a while, maybe a few years. Part of the calculus should be consideration as to whether there might be an interruption to your income i.e. job security.

It is possible that this whole crisis could resolve as quickly as it appeared and normal life can resume.
    It is also possible that the pandemic is only the catalyst for a deep worldwide recession comparable to, or maybe even worse than the one in 2008. So I would say it is best to be prepared for either scenario.

What's happening now is what is sometimes called a "black swan" event in economic circles.
    If you encounter anyone who talks with a "been there, done that, not my first rodeo" attitude, step away and practice social distancing.

I do agree with the traditional advice to stick with your plan. Of course this is best if your original plan was sound in terms of diversification and liquidity. If your plan was not sound, then there may be some tough decisions to be made.
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 03-16-2020 at 12:55 PM.

Sitting.

I do enjoy trying to beat the market with a small account.

Over the past 3 or 4 quarters I have been rebalancing a little and will rebalance the other direction when market or economy starts to change. I live easier this way. What is going on now is no different than has happened in the past. It is normal to me. I expect it will take 2 to 5 years for recovery but I really don't know and won't worry about it. At least not now.

For me it is time in the market, not timing the market. The compound growth thing is amazing.

I am always in it for the long term. I am sitting out this panic selling as always.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Sitting

A book was given to me many years ago that explained market movements as:

Bull Market: Bulls dip their horns low then lift what has caught their focus.

Bear Market: Bears stand tall, extend their claws and pull things down.

Chicken Market: Investors running around in circles and making a lot of noise. Some jump in to peck at whatever looks good. Others are trying to get out and selling everything. None of them have any real idea of what is going on or if they do have information it is often more akin to rumors.

There may be opportunity as this winds down. Some very strong companies will have their stock value drop to bargain prices and many companies will come back stronger than before.

If your crystal ball doesn't catch a cold you could make some good moves as this all settles.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I thought it would crash as soon as I heard the Chinese couldn't contain it. But there was nothing I could do.
    Everything was bought in 2009 and is up 150% now. If I sell, I will have a heck of tax bill; so I have no choice but to sit it out. I am planning on leaving it in my estate, so my heirs will get a new basis.
    It will come back eventually.