Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corona virus sign at horrible fright

Corona virus sign at horrible fright

I was at the local HF store today. Bought a weed sprayer on 1/2 price sale. good deal if it lasts a season. 20% off +free stick of batteries.
    Sign on the door says "do not come in if you are sick"
    I tell my wife anyone who goes into HF is sick in the head anyway. She said, does that include you?
    Bil

How do you know if you have the virus. You can have it and not know it right away.
    John T.

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    How do you know if you have the virus. You can have it and not know it right away.
    I hear what you are saying. If you feel well you may have Covid. If you are sick you may not have Covid. It is not an exact science. I guess error on the side of caution is the best bet.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

A kid told me Friday hold your breath for 14 seconds and see what happens. If you have corona you can't do it?
    Bil lD

That sounds like a scientific test. All the drive thru testing facilities could just use clothes pins on peoples noses or put a bag over their head for 15-20 seconds lol. Id say they'd have a straight line to the ER with such a test. I know a lot of the "heavy hitters" in my area that couldnt hold their breath for 14 seconds on their best day.

Your and your wife's response to HF made me giggle. I get sick walking "in" to that place from the smell.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    A kid told me Friday hold your breath for 14 seconds and see what happens. If you have corona you can't do it?
    Bil lD
    This is totally wrong for two reasons. First it came from a kid not a medical expert and second, it just isn't true.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Bil lD
    Pleas, please, PLEASE tell me that is sarcasm. Because if people believe that our country is in bigger trouble than I thought.

Drive thru virus testing

Quote Originally Posted by michael dilday View Post
    I hear what you are saying. If you feel well you may have Covid. If you are sick you may not have Covid. It is not an exact science. I guess error on the side of caution is the best bet.
    A gentleman employed by CVS told me today he was on a recent conference call concerning starting the drive-through virus testing program.

JKJ

I wouldn't hold my breath on this happening

Well, I like those little cinnamon candy discs sold at dollar stores and elsewhere. You know if you have one in your mouth and start coughing, your saliva is bright red on the handkerchief. Suddenly I was the only person in that register line.

A kid told me Friday hold your breath for 14 seconds and see what happens.
    A kid or not, a breath-holding number like that doesn't make any sense to me. Besides the current state of the lungs I suspecgt the ability for an individual to hold his breath for a given length of time depends on several other things including lung capacity, the physical shape you are in, your state of mind, and mostly, I think, your training.

At one point I timed myself underwater (no cheating possible!) for almost 3 minutes, my record, but that was after extensive practice (and after pre-loading the blood stream with oxygen by hyperventilation). I've had chronic asthma since a young age but even that didn't seem to affect my breath-holding other than feeling tight in the chest.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    According to what I read on the WHO and Johns Hopkins web site yesterday, as well as what an infectious disease doctor told me, a fair number of people get no symptoms other than a slight cold. They can pass it along for up to five weeks and never feel bad other than a couple days of sniffles. The estimates of the incubation period are being lowered. Now down to an average of 5.1 days. from exposure to symptoms. One or two "outliers" at 27 days from known exposure are considered doubtful and possibly from a second exposure from a mild case.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    A gentleman employed by CVS told me today he was on a recent conference call concerning starting the drive-through virus testing program.
    My understanding is this is the way a lot of the testing is being handled locally. Your doctor calls in an order and you drive to a local hospital, where they have a drive-through set up. You roll down your window and say "aaah." A nurse in protective gear swabs the back of your throat with a long Q-tip, and you're on your way. Technically, I guess it's not drive-through "testing," but drive-through "specimen collection." Probably no reason CVS or RiteAid or Walgreens couldn't do the same thing.

Unfortunately, we have a friend here who’s sister is horribly sick with all the symptoms. Her doctor ordered testing but the hospital continues to refuse to test her. The reasons? 1, she had not traveled out of the country, and 2, she had not been in direct contact with a person with a verified case of the virus. The rules that require these two things make NO sense to any of us. The family is frantic and has pleaded with the hospital. They say those are the rules. If that doesn’t change soon we may all be doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Ragatz View Post
    My understanding is this is the way a lot of the testing is being handled locally. Your doctor calls in an order and you drive to a local hospital, where they have a drive-through set up. You roll down your window and say "aaah." A nurse in protective gear swabs the back of your throat with a long Q-tip, and you're on your way. Technically, I guess it's not drive-through "testing," but drive-through "specimen collection." Probably no reason CVS or RiteAid or Walgreens couldn't do the same thing.
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 03-16-2020 at 7:31 PM.

The 14 second breath test is just to let people know what teens seem to think is logical. Also how much bad information is out there. If it is on Utube it must be true.
    Bil lD