Thread: Changing shaper spindle on a Champ Fond SP-102 Shaper

Changing shaper spindle on a Champ Fond SP-102 Shaper

I Recently came in possession of a champ Fond SP - 102 Shaper. This is not my only shaper. This one runs great but it has a 1 1/4” spindle installed in it. It came with a 3/4” and a 1” spindle as well. Well I would like to be able to change the spindle from time to time. The previous owner had never changed it and did not know how. I didn’t pay much for it. I am wondering if anyone might have a manual for this shaper. This spindle is nothing like Grizzly or Delta. I am sure that this thing is at least a early 1990s manufactured unit. I will add pictures tomorrow as I am not at my shop location. Any help would be appreciated.

Google search shows that this machine may have also been sold under the Sunhill name and maybe others. That should help with your search.

Here's the current manufacturer site...perhaps they can help, too, even though they show other tools. (They may only own the name at this point, however) http://www.woodworking.com.tw/
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If its the same as my Lin-Mac sp-102, (some I've seen were), its just a drawbar with a nut on the bottom. Lock the spindle, loosen the nut, tap the bottom of the drawbar and your good!

good luck,
    JeffD

I have a Champ Fond spindle shaper, model 230. The spindle itself is interchangeable. I want to change the bearings in the spindle housing. It is not apparent how this housing can be taken appart. I tried taking out the small set screw on the step pulley and using a wheel puller. I also tried using a wheel puller while apply heat to the pulley. Nothing budged and I am guessing parts are not available for this machine anymore so I do not want to break anything. I have not been able to find an exploded view of the spindle housing. An exploded view often offers clues to how parts are assembled.