Thread: A nice surprise at Home Depot

Blog Entries

A nice surprise at Home Depot

I was checking out with $56 worth of mulch. The cashier said if you get a HD credit card you get $50 off this bill☺ Whats not to like, so I got $56 of mulch for $6.
    Dennis

Hopefully you didn’t temporarily hurt your credit score in the process.

Blog Entries
    Last year getting their card saved me over $100 on material for new decks.

They even let me get a second card a few days latter to save $50 on a new DeWalt 20V cordless drill.

Pay the bills and lock away the cards or cancel them.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

FIL used to open CC, get discount, and then go to service desk, pay off balance and close CC.

I am just finishing a new project at home. I got a Lowes Pro credit card, which gives me 6% off of most things, and most importantly it gives you home delivery for $20, as opposed to the regular $89. Used that for siding, plywood, insulation, and drywall. All set right in front of the building.

When we started the painting, I went for the HD card also. They have some pretty good deals on paint during holidays. Got 25% off on a lot of it.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Hopefully you didn’t temporarily hurt your credit score in the process.
    I'm not worrying about my credit score , but why would getting a new credit card,assuming I pay for it on time, hurt my credit score?
    Dennis

I bought a 4 pack of air nailers on sale. Got the HoPo credit card, and saved $50. A couple days later they went on sale.
    I went back to get a refund, and the nailers ended up costing me $10. Can't beat that at all.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    This now begs the question of what Home Depot gains by having more people with credit accounts. This seems more pertinent since the cashier on my visit to purchase a cordless drill encouraged me to open a second account.

It is likely the cashiers get brownie points for getting customers to open an account.

Is there a benefit for HD Corp?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    This now begs the question of what Home Depot gains by having more people with credit accounts. This seems more pertinent since the cashier on my visit to purchase a cordless drill encouraged me to open a second account.

It is likely the cashiers get brownie points for getting customers to open an account.

Is there a benefit for HD Corp?
    It's common practice in retail, as an employee metric, to judge them by how many store credit accounts they can upsell to per day.

I did the same thing over ten years ago, got a lot of mail and email with specials. Have taken advantage of some of them as long as the price was right on something I had a need for.
    So it is another chance for Home Depot or whoever to get you back in the store. Menards is 2 miles away, Lowes is closer and Home Depot is 20 miles away so have to have a reason to go there.
    Ron