Thread: Original Veritas Power Sharpening System (not mkII)

Original Veritas Power Sharpening System (not mkII)

A while back I acquired an original Veritas Power Sharpening System. I haven’t had the time to really look it over until now. This is the model that has both a horizontal platter and a vertical grinding wheel set side by side. I also believe there may have been a belt grinding attachment that could be purchased as an upgrade and fits in place of the grinding wheel. This system predates the mkII system (which only has the horizontal platter and different drive mechanics). While there are quite a few reviews and online support for the mkII system, I can find just a few trade publication reviews and no consumer reviews or supporting information for the original.

I’m particularly interested in a manual and parts diagram as I am rebuilding it and I am having trouble freeing the main arbor to replace the main arbor bearings. The housing to this tool is cast iron, and not very thick, I would prefer not to break the while trying to figure out how the arbor comes out.

I am also planning on replacing the drive belt and the rubber ‘wheels’ (just o-rings) that the platter rides on, as the belt and ‘wheels’ are dry rotted and cracked. All of this is in an attempt to get this running smoothly again. As it is, the belt just spins on the sheave when you turn the motor on. If I give the platter a little manual spin while turning it on, I can get the belt to catch and turn the arbor before it rides itself off the sheave.

I plan on calling Lee Valley tomorrow to see if they can help me track down a manual or parts.

in the mean time, if anyone has one of these systems, and still have the manual, I’d love to get a copy of a parts diagram. Also, anyone who has used this system, I’d love to hear your experience with it. Trying to decide how much time/money is worth spending on it.

Thanks in advance!

-Andrew

Your best bet would be to contact Lee Valley they will probably still have manuals.

I did manage to get a customer service representative on the phone today. He did not have any luck looking up a digital version of a user manual or parts diagram. He said he would go down to the warehouse to see if he could find one among any spare parts they may or may not still have. Given how long ago production ceased for this machine, I’m not holding my breath. I’ll dig at it a bit more tonight and see if I can free the arbor without a diagram. It can’t be that complicated, right?

I still didn’t hear anything back from Lee Valley. Given the recent push for social distancing and closures of non-essential businesses and/or possibly due to an increase in demand as people are utilizing their newly acquired “extra time” in the shop, I wonder if their technical support and/or customer service capabilities may be down or limited.

This must not have been a very common machine given the lack of response on this forum. I’ve put off doing the rest of the tear down in hopes of getting some more information, but I’m now kinda itching to get it up and running. I’ve been flattening and sharpening lots of chisels and plane blades, and I think the power sharpener may take a bit of the tedium out of it.

I’ll post an update if I figure out and relevant information that may help someone else further down the road. I’d assume any of these units that are still out there will need the same treatment at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Nemeth View Post
    I still didn’t hear anything back from Lee Valley. Given the recent push for social distancing and closures of non-essential businesses and/or possibly due to an increase in demand as people are utilizing their newly acquired “extra time” in the shop, I wonder if their technical support and/or customer service capabilities may be down or limited.

This must not have been a very common machine given the lack of response on this forum. I’ve put off doing the rest of the tear down in hopes of getting some more information, but I’m now kinda itching to get it up and running. I’ve been flattening and sharpening lots of chisels and plane blades, and I think the power sharpener may take a bit of the tedium out of it.

I’ll post an update if I figure out and relevant information that may help someone else further down the road. I’d assume any of these units that are still out there will need the same treatment at some point.
    Lee Valley also has free shipping on now so they're ridiculously busy I expect. I own the machine and I think I have the manual and can look later.
    https://shorturl.at/mRTU3