Thread: Band saw lubricant

Band saw lubricant

Hi everyone, I have a relatively new band saw and it has been suggested that I use a blade lubricant. I'm wondering, if I use lubricant on the blade will it transfer to the rubber tires? Furthermore, I will be cleaning the rubber tires and would like to know how you do it. Do you use sandpaper as my manual suggests and do you use a liquid cleaner on them also, as I don't wish to damage them? Thanks and best of luck on your projects.

i have used it made by Olson. Don't put too much on and yes excess can build up on tires. The blade should be warm to get the most out of the lubricant. No discernible difference in the cuts however

Quote Originally Posted by fritz eng View Post
    i have used it made by Olson. Don't put too much on and yes excess can build up on tires. The blade should be warm to get the most out of the lubricant. No discernible difference in the cuts however
    Hey Fritz, If your dealing with lubricant buildup on tires, is there any real advantage to using blade lubricant?

If your are sawing metal then use lube.
    Bill D

Thanks Bill

Quote Originally Posted by floyd mills View Post
    Hey Fritz, If your dealing with lubricant buildup on tires, is there any real advantage to using blade lubricant?
    I have stopped using lubricant after cleaning off the excess build up. The build up was due to my inexperience more than anything else.

I use it when doing heavy resawing. Right amount = no build up.

Blog Entries
    I do see that when using an outdoor bandsaw mill, the blade if often water lubed.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by floyd mills View Post
    Hi everyone, I have a relatively new band saw and it has been suggested that I use a blade lubricant. I'm wondering, if I use lubricant on the blade will it transfer to the rubber tires? Furthermore, I will be cleaning the rubber tires and would like to know how you do it. Do you use sandpaper as my manual suggests and do you use a liquid cleaner on them also, as I don't wish to damage them? Thanks and best of luck on your projects.
    I don’t use lube and when the tires get gummed up I clean them off with mineral spirits. I think sandpaper would damage the tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I do see that when using an outdoor bandsaw mill, the blade if often water lubed.
    Some use water, some use diesel fuel, some use an emulsion of both or other oil/detergent emulsions ... I believe the biggest reason is to keep sap from building up on the blade as fast.

Are you cutting wet timber? That's the only time sawdust sticking to the blade or tire has been an issue for me.

Ittura Design suggested this and I be dang it works.I can tell the difference,like others little goes long ways.
    Attached Images Attached Images